Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Use your advanced research skills to further the growth and development of mechanical and manufacturing engineering.
You will join an active research community and work with academics, peers and partner organisations who have demonstrated research success in a range of specialities, including:
- mechanical engineering:
- alternative energy technologies (e.g. solar cells)
- applied heat and mass transfer
- conservation and renewable energy (CARE)
- combustion and fuels
- computational engineering (including CAD, FEA, CFD)
- dynamics and control and noise vibration harshness engine and supercharger technologies
- industrial and vehicle
- sports engineering
- vehicle design and crashworthiness
- virtual engineering and design.
- manufacturing engineering:
- additive manufacturing
- computer-integrated manufacturing
- design for manufacturing
- forming and machining technology
- high-speed automation
- polymeric and composite product development
- quality management in manufacturing
- robotics, laser technology.
Use your advanced engineering skills to contribute to our applied industry focused mechanical and manufacturing research projects.
RMIT’s experienced engineering researchers have achieved significant successes across application areas and industry sectors.
Through collaboration with our own institutes and centres we produce creative solutions to existing and emerging industry-applicable engineering problems.
Research is supported by state of the art facilities, including the Advanced Manufacturing Precinct.
RMIT researchers deliver high-impact and influential outcomes. Success is demonstrated through excellent performance in university rankings, with rankings as well above world standard in the Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015 round.
RMIT is also ranked in the top 100 universities in the fields of aerospace and mechanical engineering in the 2014 QS World University rankings.
There are active collaborations with other national and international institutes, centres, groups and partners, including:
- Advanced Manufacturing CRC
- Centre for Additive Manufacturing
- Centre for Innovative Structures and Materials (CISM)
- CRC for Advanced Automotive Technologies
- CRC for Advanced Composite Structures
- Defence Materials Technology Centre
RMIT research is supported by excellent facilities and infrastructure, including:
- Advanced Manufacturing Precinct
- Green Engines Research Laboratory
- industrial research wind tunnels
- composites and advanced materials testing laboratories
- computer laboratories with relevant and updated software
Throughout your candidature, you will be supported through:
- an expert supervisor who will help you develop the required leadership, analytical and problem-solving qualities required to work at a world-leading level
- participation in high-quality professional development programs delivered by RMIT's School of Graduate Research
- access to RMIT’s extensive facilities, laboratories and equipment and those of our partners.
Mechanical and manufacturing engineering candidates may be eligible for a range of scholarships including:
International student visa holders can only study full-time.
Time spent on research
Full-time candidates are expected to commit at least four days per week (or at least two days per week for part-time candidates) to their research. The academic year is 48 weeks.
Regular contact with your supervisor
A schedule of meetings with your supervisor/s must be established to assess progress against milestones and timely completion.
Resources, facilities and support
You will have access to online and digital resources through the myRMIT student portal.
You will be part of an active research community and have access to resources and workshops to help you succeed.
School of Graduate Research
The School of Graduate Research works with Schools to further support candidates during their postgraduate research degree.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
You will be able to pursue an academic career in a university or be employed in senior leadership and management positions in government, scientific and industrial research laboratories.
Program and course information
Become a leader in the rapidly changing manufacturing industry
Supported by RMIT's Advanced Manufacturing Precinct you'll produce creative, leading-edge and industry-applicable engineering solutions.