Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Pharmaceutical science is both the science and business of developing new medicines.
It’s at the centre of the biomedical sciences, where knowledge about the human body, chemistry and action of drugs are applied in the context of the pharmaceutical industry, to improve the healthcare system.
Specific aspects of the degree include:
- drug discovery
- toxicity and safety
- clinical trials
- drug regulations
- the ethics associated with the approval of drugs
- medical communication of therapeutic products (sales and marketing).
This unique four year program is industry-engaged and gives you an ideal platform for a broad variety of careers in the biomedical sciences.
The program gives you job-ready career experience in the pharmaceutical and related industries.
International student visa holders can only study full-time.
You’ll learn in state-of the-art, interactive teaching facilities on the purpose built health and medical sciences campus.
Learn in small class sizes with award winning, teaching focused academic staff.
You'll have access to online resources through the myRMIT student portal.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes examinations, essays, reports, oral classes, presentations, group projects, research projects, laboratory projects and practical assignments.
This industry-engaged program has a strong focus on work-integrated learning and learning by doing.
The Program Advisory Committee (made up of representatives from pharmaceutical companies, research institutes, government agencies and universities) ensures the curriculum and placement activities align with the needs of the workplace.
This program gives you the skills to be job-ready, with real work experience in the broader biomedical sciences job market, but with a major focus on the pharmaceutical industry.
The Australian pharmaceutical industry is Australia’s leading technology exporter and forms an expanding multi-billion dollar sector that requires graduates to work in areas such as drug design and development, human clinical trials and drug regulations. This is a globally relevant degree that also provides excellent opportunities for employment in Australia and overseas.
Career options include:
- biopharmaceutical companies (research and development, drug regulatory affairs, medical communication)
- clinical trial centres
- drug safety, toxicology and pharmacovigilance
- government regulatory authorities (health departments)
- biomedical research in hospitals, universities and research institutes
Professional recognition and accreditation
Graduates are fully qualified to work in the industry without further training or accreditation and may join the following Australian professional societies:
- Association of Regulatory and Clinical Scientists to the Pharmaceutical Industry (ARCS)
- Australasian Pharmaceutical Science Association (APSA)
- Australasian Society of Clinical and Experimental Pharmacologists and Toxicologists (ASCEPT)
- Australian Physiological Society (AuPS)
- Australian Society for Medical Research (ASMR)
- Australian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB).
RMIT enjoys strong links with a number of overseas research laboratories and companies.
Unlock your global passport: opportunities within the program to study abroad or gain international experience.
Program and course information
Your path to a career in a multi-billion dollar industry
Work in areas like drug design and development, human clinical trials and drug regulations.