Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
There are no minimum requirements.
- Deadline extended, please complete and submit the 2017 Sound Production pre-selection kit by Tuesday 31 January 2017.
- Complete and submit the 2017 Sound Production pre-selection kit by 5pm, Thursday 29 September (timely applicants). Late applications will be considered.
- Attend an interview (some applicants).
If you are required to attend an interview we will contact you via email in November. Interviews will be held in November/December. The interview will cover the work in your pre-selection kit and your interest in Sound Production. After the interview you will receive an advisory letter, by mid-December.
If you are selected based on your pre-selection kit you are not required to attend an interview. You will receive an advisory letter in November.
Pre-selection kit requirements
The pre-selection kit comprises:
- responses to the following questions (maximum 150 words per question):
- Which Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software packages have you used, and for how long?
- Have you had experience using microphones to record instruments, voice, or other sources? If so, please provide details.
- Please provide details of other hardware you have utilised, such as pre-amps, EQ or dynamics processors.
- Have you observed the audio engineering process while attending either live performances or studio recordings? Please provide details.
- Have you completed any audio engineering processes, or assisted in live sound production or studio recordings? Please provide details.
- An audio task
You will be required to download and unzip a sound file and, using any Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) software package (eg. Pro tools, Logic, Cubase, Mixbus, Audacity, Garage Band etc), create a mix of the audio stems provided in the zip file.
Produce a completed stereo mix of the of the audio stems file as a stereo interleaved Mp3 file - firstname.lastname@example.orgHz.
File size must not exceed 10MB (file size of stereo bounce should be approximately 5MB) or supply a URL to your completed stereo mix of the of the audio stems file.
You must state the methods of production used on your Audio task.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent senior secondary school qualification) with a minimum 50% average (check calculator below).
You may also be considered if you have work experience in this field.
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post-secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted.
You are required to submit a completed Pre-Selection kit (PDF 74.7 KB 4p) along with your application.
Interview: You may be interviewed, either in person or via phone/Skype.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 5.5 (with no individual band below 5.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 530 (TWE 3.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 71 (with minimum of 17 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 42 (with no communication band less than 36)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 162 with no less than 154 in any component.
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Upper Intermediate Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.
If you don't meet the entry requirements, there may be other RMIT programs you are eligible for that can lead you to your preferred program. Explore your pathway options.