Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
There are no minimum academic entry requirements.
- complete and submit the 2017 Design selection kit by 5pm, Friday 16 December 2016.
- Attend a folio presentation (some applicants).
If you are required to attend a folio presentation we will contact you via email in mid-November. Folio presentations will be held from 21 November 2016.
After the folio presentation you will receive an advisory letter, by mid-December 2016.
Selection kit requirements
The selection requires
- an applicant statement of no more than 250 words outlining why you would like to work in the design industry
- a folio of 10-12 images of your work which demonstrates your interests and creative thinking.
Your folio must reflect skills in:
- Concept and design
- problem solving,
- creative use of colour,
- 2D and 3D design thinking, and
- a computer generated project displaying skills of digital competency.
Examples of work to consider may include illustrations, technical drawings, paintings, graphic designs, photographs, models, sculpture, video, and/or 2D and 3D animation. A variety of work that shows your potential 2D and 3D skills is preferred.
Provide a statement of no more than 50 words for each piece of work, describing the task and the outcome.
Your folio of 10-12 images must be a single PDF (maximum 10MB), or a URL to a single PDF if online.
Art and Design application tips
View the following videos for some practical application advice:
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent senior secondary school qualification) with a minimum 50% average (check calculator below).
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post-secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted.
Folio: You must supply evidence of your creativity in the form of a folio. The folio should contain a variety of art, design or media work relevant to the program you are applying for. It should demonstrate your creative, conceptual and technical ability. You should include evidence of how ideas were developed, and finished works.
Folio presentation: You must present your folio to a selection panel. Where necessary, this may be conducted via email, phone or Skype.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 5.5 (with no individual band below 5.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 530 (TWE 3.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 71 (with minimum of 17 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 42 (with no communication band less than 36)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 162 with no less than 154 in any component.
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Upper Intermediate Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.
If you don't meet the entry requirements, there may be other RMIT programs you are eligible for that can lead you to your preferred program. Explore your pathway options.