Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
There are no minimum academic entry requirements.
- complete and submit the 2017 Graphic Design selection kit by 5pm, Friday 4 November 2016.
- Attend a folio presentation (some applicants).
If you are required to attend a folio presentation RMIT will contact you via email in mid-November 2016. Folio presentations will be held from 21 November 2016.
After the folio presentation you will receive an advisory letter, by mid-December 2016.
Selection kit requirements
The selection requires:
- an applicant statement of no more than 250 words outlining why you would like to work in the graphic design industry
- a folio of 10-12 images of your work that reflect concept skills in drawing, problem solving, creative use of colour, communication and 2D and 3D design thinking and graphic design work that responds to design challenges
- The use of typography in design work
- The use of graphic design industry software
Examples of work to consider including in your folio are: illustrations, technical drawings, paintings, graphic designs, photographs, models, sculpture, video, and/or 2D and 3D animation.
A variety of work that shows your potential 2D and 3D skills is preferred. You should include evidence of how ideas were developed as well as a variety of finished works.
Provide a statement of no more than 50 words for each piece of work, describing the task and the outcome.
Your folio of 10-12 images must be a single PDF (maximum 10MB), or a URL to a single PDF if online.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent senior secondary school qualification) with a minimum 50% average.
You may also be considered if you have work experience in this field.
For information on international qualifications and corresponding entry requirements that are equivalent to an Australian Year 12, see the Entry requirements by country web page.
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post-secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Folio: You must supply evidence of your creativity in the form of a folio. The folio should contain a variety of art, design or media work relevant to the program you are applying for. It should demonstrate your creative, conceptual and technical ability. You should include evidence of how ideas were developed, and finished works.
Short-listed applicants may be required to present their folio to a selection panel. You may be interviewed, either in person or via phone/Skype.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 5.5 (with no individual band below 5.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 530 (TWE 3.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 71 (with minimum of 17 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 42 (with no communication band less than 36)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 162 with no less than 154 in any component.
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Upper Intermediate Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.