Formalises the financial, legal and academic delegations made by Council in accordance with Section 18 of the RMIT University Act.This policy facilitates the efficient and effective operations of the University.
RMIT Group including controlled entities.
1. Delegations are made to staff in relation to a position they occupy and are set out in the schedules below.
2. The incumbent includes the acting or temporary occupant of a position.
3. If a position is abolished or re-named, the delegation should be taken to be a reference to the principal successor to the functions of that position.
4. With the exception of the Vice Chancellor, no delegate is authorised to sub-delegate any of the delegate’s delegated functions to another person or group of persons.
5. Authority is exercised by the lowest level delegate in the first instance and escalated to a higher level delegate if the lower delegate is unavailable or has a conflict of interest.
6. If a legal agreement or other document covering a matter included in a delegate’s authority also includes subject matter that falls within the responsibility of a delegate with a higher authority, then the document must be signed by the delegate with the higher authority.
7. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, a delegation to a specific delegation band applies to any staff member within or above the delegation band. The Vice Chancellor is authorised to sign any agreement or other document in respect of any transaction within the Vice Chancellor's financial delegation.
8. A delegate may not sign an agreement unless the total value of the transaction, including both monetary and any in-kind consideration, falls within their delegated financial authority.
9. A delegate cannot exercise a delegation in regard to functions or staff for which the delegate does not hold line management responsibility.
10. Any delegation must be exercised in accordance with the approved budget or source of funds except where explicitly stated in the financial schedule.
11. Legal delegations cover any legal agreements or contracts including but not limited to deeds, the exchange of letters, a heads of agreement and other documents that create a legally binding obligation inclusive of tender submissions.
12. University Secretariat coordinates the annual review of all delegations.
13. Controlled entities must develop delegations schedules which are consistent with this policy and its schedules.
|Band 3||Senior Executive: Vice-Presidents|
|Band 4||President RMIT Vietnam|
|Band 5||CEO RMIT Training, CEO RMIT Online|
|Band 6||Executive positions (e.g. Executive Directors, Directors, Deans, Heads of School) that report to Senior Executives, and Executive Director RMIT Europe|
|Band 7||Executive and HEW 10 positions that report to Executive Directors, Directors, Deans/Heads of School and other Band 6 positions|
|Band 8||Authorised Officer – class 1|
|Band 9||Authorised Officer – class 2|
|1.1||Unbudgeted revenue and expenditure (total value)|
|1.2||Budgeted revenue and expenditure|
|$1,000,000||CFO, CIO and ED Property Services|
|$500,000||Band 4 and ED R&I|
|1.3||Waive requirement to tender with operating expenditure to total value of
|$250,000||Band 3, Band 4, Band 5, CFO, CIO, ED R&I, ED Property Services, Deputy Dir. Strategic Sourcing & Procurement and ED RMIT Europe|
|2.1||Formation of and shareholding/membership in companies and other corporations, unincorporated association, partnerships or joint ventures||COO
DVC(R&I) (for research-related ventures only)
|2.2||Acquisition or disposition of an interest in real property (including a licence)||COO
|2.3||Acquisition or disposal of an interest in property (other than real property or intellectual property)||Band 6|
|2.4||Service agreements where the University/controlled entity is selling services, including tendering for the delivery of services||Band 3-5
ED RMIT Europe
|2.5||Service agreements where the University is purchasing services, including tendering for the acquisition of services||Band 7|
|2.6||Intellectual property disposition, acquisition, license, distribution and royalty agreements||COO
Band 5ED R&I (Research only)
|2.7||Agreements governing research and research training including grants and memoranda of understanding||DVC(R&I)
|2.8||International agreements including: memoranda of understanding, academic credit agreements, student mobility agreements, partnered delivery of course work awards agreements, agency agreements for recruitment of international students, study abroad agreements, sponsorship agreements||DVC(I)
Director International Recruitment (Agency agreements only)
|2.9||Authority to transact in a foreign currency||COO, CFO|
|2.10||Confidentiality agreements||Band 7|
|2.11||Individual student mobility agreements including WIL and credit recognition agreements||Band 6|
|2.12||Miscellaneous agreements not covered above||Band 3|
|2.13||Issue or amend credit card limits for members of staff (≤$10,000)||Band 3, Band 4, Band 5 and ED RMIT Europe|
|2.14||Issue or amend credit card limits for members of staff (>$10,000)||COO and CFO|
|2.15||Open bank account||COO, CFO, Band 4 and ED Europe|
|2.16||Appoint directors to boards of controlled entities||Band 2|
|2.17||Appoint directors to affiliated body or organisation in which the University does not hold a controlling interest||Band 3|
|3.1||Approves all higher education and vocational education and training awards conferred by the University||Academic Board|
|3.2||Approves academic policies||Academic Board|
May by resolution delegate any of its powers, authorities, duties and functions (expressly reserving this power of delegation and the powers referred to in the Statute) to:
i. a committee or board nominated by it,
ii. a member of the Academic Board, or
iii. a prescribed officer of the University,
provided that no such delegation will prevent or otherwise limit the Academic Board in the exercise of its powers, authorities, duties or functions.
Status & details
Custodian: Vice-President Strategy & Governance
Operational responsibility: University Secretariat
Effective from: 5 May 2016
Last updated: 3 June 2016
Document reference: POL/2016/00033