If you plan to work while you study, RMIT can help you look for work and develop your job seeking skills.

Domestic students

As a full-time domestic student, you may be eligible to receive Youth Allowance. However, you still might require consistent casual or part-time work to supplement your income while studying.

RMIT offers employment resources and job seeking support through online tools and job listings, the Job Shop drop-in centre, and a series of events, workshops and programs.

Explore the full range of job-seeking support services on offer at our students website.



International students - employment restrictions and resources

If your visa permits, you can get a part-time or casual job to help pay for your expenses while you study here. 

As an international student, you and your family are allowed to work for up to 40 hours per fortnight when you have permission to work. Learn more about the work restrictions for student visa holders and their family.

The Cross Cultural Communication (3Cs) program matches first year international students with local students who will help you learn about Australian workplace culture, prepare for job interviews and improve your communication skills.

If your visa allows you to work, you can take advantage of the job and career resources available to RMIT students. Remember to bring relevant documents with you to Australia to apply for work, such as reference letters from previous employers.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business. - Artwork created by Louisa Bloomer