Providing financial support for high-achieving female researchers from developing APEC economies. The 2018 round of the fellowship is now closed.
The Australia - APEC Women in Research Fellowship will provide financial support for high-achieving female researchers from developing APEC economies to pursue research opportunities in partnership with Australian education and research institutions.
This fellowship aims to encourage the mobility of post-doctorate female researchers from the APEC region. It is designed to assist with the particular challenges female researchers face in undertaking cross-border research activities such as lack of flexibility and extra financial support for child care.
Each year up to ten fellowships will be awarded to facilitate a research project of between one and four months. Within the pool of successful recipients, two fellowships will be offered to early career researchers with less than five years' of professional research experience.
Applications for the 2018 round are now closed. The Australian APEC Study Centre will administer the fellowship, supported by the Australian Government Department of Education and Training.
To be eligible to receive the fellowship, applicants must:
- Be a female citizen or permanent resident of one of the following eligible APEC economies: Chile, People’s Republic of China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, Thailand or Viet Nam
- Not be an Australian permanent resident
- Have a PhD degree (conferred by 1 April 2018)
- Be available to commence proposed program between 1 July 2018 and 31 December 2018
- Provide all relevant supporting documentation in English
- Obtain a nomination agreement with an Australian academic institution and/or organisation
- Not be undertaking research or training that leads to a formal qualification between 1 July 2018 and 31 December 2018
The following are the selection criteria and their relative weighting:
- A record of high-level academic achievement and research experience relative to opportunity in the applicant’s chosen field of study (30%)
- A well-defined research program with anticipated outcomes (40%)
- Statement on how the international research would further the applicant’s academic and/or professional career (15%)
- Statement on how the international research opportunity will benefit Australia and the applicant’s potential to foster ongoing collaboration and cooperation between Australian and their home economy (15%)
The 2018 fellowship is now closed.
For general enquiries please email Kevin Nguyen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 (3) 9925 5908.
|12 February 2018||Applications open. Applicant arerequired to complete online form and submit supporting documents via email|
|6 April 2018||Applications close 5pm (Australian Eastern Standard Time)|
|April - May 2018||Applicants short listed and assessed|
|22 May 2018||Successful and unsuccessful applicants are notified|
|June 2018||Successful recipients complete and return detailed project outline with KPIs, milestones and passport copies|
|June - December 2018||Recipients commence fellowship program|
To apply for the fellowship, follow the application checklist below and send all documents to email@example.com
Ensure you have included all of these documents.
- Completed 'Application Form'
- Completed 'Applicant Sponsor Form'
- A copy of citizenship or permanent residency
- Academic transcripts
- 2 x Referee reports
- Evidence of support and language suitability from host. This can be in the form of a letter signed by the host, supporting your language suitability.
- Research CV and list of publications
Please check the 2018 Fellowship Guidelines for specific instructions on how to certify documents as true copies. This must be done for the proof of citizenship or permanent residency document.
Finally, please follow the format below when naming your documents:
Example: Sarah Thorpe
- Sarah T App Form
- Sarah T Spon Form
- Sarah T CZ/PR
- Srah T Academic Transcript
- Sarah T Ref Reports
- Sarah T Lang Support
- Sarah T CV
All recipients will receive:
- Travel allowance: AU$3,000 for Asian economies and AU$4,500 for South American economies
- Establishment allowance: AU$2,000
- Monthly stipend: AU$3,000
- Monthly family allowance AU$1,200 if applicable