In this special once-only event, Speak Percussion and RMIT's SIAL Sound Studios present the work of Richard Barrett, one of UK’s most impressive composers.
The Barrett Portrait Concert was presented by Speak Percussion and RMIT's SIAL Sound Studios.
Saturday 26 July 7pm
The Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory
RMIT University, Design Hub (Building 100), Corner of Swanston and Victoria Street, Carlton.
- Richard Barrett – urlicht (3 vibraphones, percussion and eight channel electronics) WORLD PREMIERE
- Richard Barrett – codex XIV (3 percussion and live electronics) WORLD PREMIERE
- Richard Barrett – abglanzbeladen/auseinandergeschrieben (solo percussion)
- Richard Barrett – solo electronics improvisation
- Richard Barrett: Live Electronics
- Eugene Ughetti: Artistic Director, Percussion
- Matthias Schack: Arnott: Artistic Associate, Percussion
- Peter Neville: Percussion
- Lawrence Harvey: Spatialisation
- Jeffrey Hannam: Technical Direction
- Jordan Koster: Technical Assistant
Featuring the composer himself live on electronics, this tour de force is not be missed. Barrett’s visceral music is informed by science, ethics and literature, and explores the utter extremes of instrumental performance.
Richard Barrett is internationally active as both composer and improvising performer, having collaborated with many of the world’s leading performers. He studied composition principally with Peter Wiegold, is based in Berlin and currently teaches at the Institute of Sonology in The Hague, having previously held a professorship at Brunel University in London. His long-term collaborations include the electronic duo FURT, composing for and performing with the ELISION contemporary music group, and regular appearances with the Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble. His work as composer and performer is documented on over 25 CDs, including five discs devoted to his compositions and seven by FURT. Recent projects include CONSTRUCTION, a two-hour work for twenty-three performers and three-dimensional sound system, premiered by Elision in November 2011.