Essential information you need before you apply for a Masters by Research or the Doctor of Philosophy program with the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies.
To be considered for a place in a Higher Degree by Research at RMIT University, you will need to meet the eligibility requirements for the program for which you are applying.
Eligibility does not ensure an offer, as RMIT receives more applications than available places.
Check your eligibility on the program pages:
- Doctor of Philosophy – PhD (Global, Urban & Social Studies)
- Master by Research – Master of Social Science (Global, Urban & Social Studies)
The School of Global, Urban and Social Studies (GUSS) may offer all available places during assessment of the scholarship round. You are advised to submit your formal application to RMIT during the scholarship round even if not applying for a scholarship.
How to apply
Identify your research topic from the GUSS HDR Projects list
Formally apply for an expression of interest for a Higher Degree by Research place via the School of Graduate Research.
You must be able to arrive at the university to enrol before the beginning of the semester in which you wish to commence, as you will need to start the compulsory Research Strategies course in your first semester.
School support for research students
The School will provide research candidates shared access to research space that includes:
- Access to a shared desk and desktop computer
- Internet, stationery and printing access
- Research skill development opportunities
- Storage space for research data
- Meeting rooms for research purposes
- Defined financial support for research activities
- A suite of research candidate focused seminar and colloquia activities
- Associate membership to School research centres
- Engagement with an ever growing research culture within the school
- A program for engaging with sessional teaching opportunities
- Social activities