The Centre for Innovative Justice offers a range of opportunities for students to gain experience in the legal sector and court system through taster placements.
Our taster placements give students a chance to meet with leading professionals in the sector, as well as those involved in innovative programs that are helping to make the justice system more fair, responsive and embedded in community.
Some of these opportunities involve shadowing lawyers, magistrates, Judges and tribunal members as they go about their daily business for a week. Students who participate gain an extraordinary insight into the daily work of courts and tribunals in Victoria. Thus far, RMIT students have found these opportunities to be invaluable, deriving real life inspiration and insight for developing future career pathways.
In the second half of 2015 we will be offering opportunities for to students:
- Undertake an intership with the the Court of Appeal clinic.
- Attend the Royal Commission into Family Violence.
- Shadow Commissioners and staff at the Fair Work Commission.
- Shadow Magistrates working in innovative and holistic specialist courts such as the assessment and referral court (ARC) list at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court, the Koori Court and the Drug Court at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court.
- Shadow defence lawyers based at the Collingwood Neighbourhood Justice Centre.
- Shadow the State Coroner at the Coroner’s Court of Victoria.
Please note, many opportunities have deadlines for applying. Opportunities and relevant deadlines will be announced periodically via your student email, other student mailing lists and the LSS newsletter.