Director: Professor Charlie XUE (RMIT University)
Chinese Director: Associate Professor Yanping Zhang (Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine)
Secretary: Dr. Iris Zhou (RMIT University)
Location: Building 202, Level 4, Room 2
In 2008, RMIT established the Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute (CMCI) through a collaboration with Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine, China.
As one of the first activities of the CMCI, a Chinese Culture and Chinese Medicine History Museum was set up with over 300 items of artefacts for the museum are on display. RMIT University acknowledges the generosity and technical support provided by the Guangdong Provincial Chinese Medicine Museum, China.
RMIT is acknowledged internationally as a leader in the development of Chinese Medicine education and research in the western world. The achievements of RMIT Chinese Medicine have been made possible through a global collaborative network with numerous collaborators including institutions in the People’s Republic of China (PRC).
The Confucius Institutes are non-profit institutions co-funded by the CI Headquarters, China. The objective of Confucius Institutes is to promote Chinese language and culture through partnership with academic institutions.
In the case of the Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute at RMIT University, we have specific focus on Chinese Medicine with a Chinese language component that will assist learning for our students in the Chinese Medicine and Health Sciences double degree program. This, along with a background in Chinese culture and medical literature, will assist Australian final year Chinese Medicine students with their clinical training in China.
The Confucius Institute will enable further collaborations with Chinese teaching and research institutions in the area of Chinese medicine. Additional research capabilities in Chinese medicine and related disciplines such as Chinese culture, clinical trials, pharmacology and toxicology would be strengthened for both RMIT and its Chinese partner universities through research collaboration and staff/student exchange.
The Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute at RMIT University, Australia will have a wide range of positive impacts:
- Broaden opportunities for Australian students and academics to interact with Chinese universities and other Institutions.
- Expand research capabilities with RMIT’s Chinese partner institutions in Chinese Medicine.
- Facilitate the harmonisation of Chinese and Western Medicine.
- Promote Chinese culture, especially the Chinese language, through education and contribute to internationalisation of the Chinese medicine curriculum.
- Strengthening ties with other academic disciplines.
CMCI Council Committee Members
- Professor Peter Coloe- Co-Chair of the Council Committee; Pro Vice-Chancellor (College of Science, Engineering and Health) and Vice-President, RMIT University
- Professor Andrew MacIntyre- Member of the Council Committee, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (International) & Vice-President; RMIT University
- Professor Charlie Xue- Member of the Council Committee; Executive Dean, School of Health and Biomedical Sciences, RMIT University
- Associate Professor Tony Zhang- Member of the Council Committee; Discipline Leader of Chinese Medicine, School of Health and Biomedical Sciences, RMIT University
Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine:
- Professor Zhiguang Sun - Co-Chair of the Council Committee; Vice-President (International), Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine
- Professor Xiaohong Zheng- Member of the Council Committee; Director, Department of International Cooperation and Exchange, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine
- Associate Professor Yanping Zhang- Member of the Council Committee; Deputy Dean, School of Humanities and Political Education, Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine
- Mr John So -Member of the Council Committee and Community Representative
- Mr Roger Li- Member of the Council Committee Member and Community Representative