John Hughes’s PhD in Media and Communications (‘After Indonesia Calling’, RMIT 2013) was supervised by Dr Adrian Danks and Associate Professor Cathy Greenfield.
Completed March 2013
John's projects cross boundaries of film, television and media art practice with video art and film work presented at the ICA London, ARC Art Museum Paris, Biennale of Sydney, Ewing Gallery and ACMI Melbourne.
Recent independent documentaries John has worked on as producer, writer-director include Love & Fury (ABC, 2013, 2014), Indonesia Calling (ABC, 90 minutes, 2009), and The Archive Project (ABC, 98 minutes, 2006).
John has received the following awards:
- Stanley Hawes Award (2006)
- Joan Long Award, achievement in film history (2006)
- Australian Writer’s Guild Best Broadcast Documentary 2010
- NSW Premier’s History Prize (audio-visual) 2007
- Critics Circle Best Feature Documentary 2006
He has also held places on festival juries (IDFA 2001, Pacific Meridian, Russia, 2004, FIFO 2011), publishing on Australian documentary: Arena Magazine, Cineaste, Studies in Australasian Cinema.
John is currently Honorary Fellow, Faculty of VCA & MCM, University of Melbourne.
- Researcher: John Hughes
- Supervisors: Dr Adrian Danks and Associate Professor Cathy Greenfield