SBi Lab conducts original and applied research into issues that affect the sustainability performance of the built environment.
The SBi Lab is uniquely placed to provide independent consultancy services for clients in industry, government and institutional, commercial and community sectors. It has strong links with national and international researchers as well as affiliations with community organisations, industry, commercial and government bodies.
Our team of sustainable building experts uses traditional building science and innovative methodologies, including building simulation and performance measurements, together with strategic thinking and frameworks from built environment management, building energy and environmental performance, human behaviour and efficiency education to address sustainability challenges and develop cost-efficient solutions for improving the sustainability performance of buildings.
SBi Lab focuses on four main research themes:
Building energy efficiency and environmental performance
- Materials and systems
- Performance assessment and monitoring
- Simulation and modelling
- Life cycle assessment (LCA) and life cycle costing (LCC)
- Computational modelling and tool development
Building indoor environment
- Indoor environment quality (IEQ)
- Thermal comfort
- Ventilation performance prediction
- Post occupancy evaluation (POE)
Sustainability education for the building industry
- Efficiency education (higher education and continuing professional development)
Built environment design, policy and regulation
- Design methods
- Behavioural awareness and consequences