The Centre of Excellence on Smart Specialisation and Regional Policy promotes international cooperation between researchers and policy makers working to support innovative economic and social development in regions. It is supported by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union.
The Centre of Excellence promotes a broad understanding of the evolution of EU Regional Policy and its role in the integration of the EU. It asks what Australia and other countries in the Asia Pacific region can learn from the European experience, particularly the ‘Smart Specialisation Strategy’ (S3). This is relevant to problems such as regional disparities, climate change and cultural cohesion.
The Centre of Excellence will be a catalyst for regional policy and development research outside the European Union neighbourhood, working in collaboration with the European Commission’s Smart Specialisation Platform in Sevilla. The EU Centre and S3 platform will cooperate to exchange information, participate in events and promote interaction and exchange.
Key activities for the Centre of Excellence are:
- developing resources and sharing information with researchers and policy makers
- undertaking comparative research on smart specialisation processes and their implications for regional development in the EU, Australia and Asia
- promoting improved policy dialogue about the economic, social and environmental contribution that smart specialisation processes can make to regional policy
- enhancing the depth and quality of teaching subjects that address the EU experience, and
- attracting students and supporting early career researchers working in relevant disciplines.
News and Events
Smart Specialisation and Regional Innovation Systems: An example of European policy experimentation
This Symposium offers the opportunity to hear from two leading European experts on smart specialisation, & the effectiveness of its design and implementation as a policy intervention.Find out more Smart Specialisation and Regional Innovation Systems: An example of European policy experimentation
Regional Policy, Regional Innovation: Implications of European Experience for Australia
Seminar to launch the new Centre of Excellence on Smart Specialisation and Regional Policy, established by the EU Centre at RMIT with support from the EU’s Jean Monnet program.Find out more Regional Policy, Regional Innovation: Implications of European Experience for Australia
Launch of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in Smart Specialisation and Regional Policy
On the 13th of August, the EU Centre was delighted to host the launch of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in Smart Specialisation and Regional Policy.Find out more Launch of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in Smart Specialisation and Regional Policy