Our physical vapour deposition laboratory allows researchers to explore novel materials for deposition with numerous applications across all disciplines.
This ISO 7 Class 10,000 laboratory contains a comprehensive range of vapour deposition tools.
- Pulsed laser, plasma-enhanced, thermal, e-beam and sputter deposition.
- Reactive ion, focused ion-beam, cryogenic, Bosch deep Si, and silicon on insulator (SOI) etching processes for micro and nano electromechanical systems (MEMS and NEMS), microfluidics and photonics.
- III-V etch processes for laser facets, via holes, photonic crystals and many other applications in a wide range of materials (InP, InSb, InGaAsP, GaAs, AlGaAs, GaN, AlGaN, etc.).
- Bosch etcher (BRE)
- Chemical Vapour Deposition (CVD) cluster system
- E Beam evaporator (LEB)
- Sputter system (LSP)
Bosch etcher (BRE)
The Oxford PlasmaPro 100 Estrelas is designed for Bosch and Cryo etching of silicon and conventional etching of MEMS and Silicon on Insulator. The system has a range of applications such as MEMS, NEMS, and silicon optoelectronic and nanoelectronic research.
Chemical vapour deposition (CVD) cluster system
The CVD cluster system incorporates several technologies into a cluster system (Oxford PlasmaPro 100 multi-chamber) with a central robotic wafer handler and full cassette-to-cassette wafer handling:
- atomic layer deposition (CVD-ALD)
- deep reactive ion etcher (CVD-DRIE)
- plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition (PECVD).
E-Beam evaporator system (LEB)
The Lesker PVD75 E-beam evaporator system features four pocket E-beam source evaporation. It is used for thin film deposition and lift-off process operation.
Sputter system (LSP)
The John Morris PVD 75 is designed for thin film deposition including:
- organic and printed light emitting diodes and organic electronics
- photovoltaic and semiconductor devices
- optics and decorative coatings.
The laboratory also contains a broad range of tools to assist researchers in using the equipment. Full details are provided in the training modules and manuals for the laboratory.