We explore the many intersections that contribute to the decolonisation of Early Childhood Education to improve access, outcomes, and belonging for children from diverse contexts.
Who we are
- Aleryk Fricker PhD Student (CDU/Lecturer School of Education)
- Dr Rucelle Hughes (School of Education)
- Julie Carmel PhD student (Murdoch University / Lecturer School of Education)
- Fiona Westbrook PhD student (School of Education)
- E. Jayne White (School of Education)
- Elise Hunkin (School of Education)
What we do
In this bubble we investigate various intersections that contribute to being able to decolonise belonging in an education context. Our research focuses on the impacts of engagement with First Nations, feminist, queer, class, children living with disabilities, age and development theories, and others, and discourse around learning, and how policy informs and impacts the application of these intersections within the learning and development in education contexts. This bubble considers how the theorising and application of these intersections can positively impact student learning.
Read more about our work
- Carmel. J. & Rouse. E. (2020) Deconstructing the Use of Video for Research with Children: A Methodology of ‘Truth’ and Meaning. In E.J. White (Ed,) Seeing the world through Children’s eyes: Visual methodology and approached to research in the early years. Brill publishers
- Fricker, A (2017). ‘Indigenous Perspectives: Controversy in the History Classroom?’ Agora 52(4) pp. 4-12
- Fricker, A; Gray, E; Crowhurst, M. (2021) A Blackfella, a Gay Man, and a Lesbian Walk into a School of Education: Reflections from the Intersections. In L. Murti and G. Flores (Eds.) Educators at Intersections: Gender, Race, and Class in the Lives of Today’s Teachers. New York: Springer Press.
- Fricker, A., & Judd, B. (2018). ‘The Intersections of Education, Sport, and Culture at Papunya: The Need for Field-Based Research in Remote Inland Australia.’ Journal of Australia Indigenous Issues 21(1-2) pp. 2-22.
- Gradovski, M., Eriksen Ødegaard, E., Rutanen, N., Sumsion, J., Mika, C., White, J. (2019) The First 1000 Days of Early Childhood: Becoming. Singapore: Springer