We investigate ways to exploit visualities to experience, observe, and augment experiential learning(s) and ways of learning ‘to be’ in diverse educational settings.
Who we are
- Dr Melanie Nash (School of Education)
- Dr Grant Cooper (School of Education)
- Dr Li Ping Thong (School of Design)
- Hayden Park PhD student (School of Education)
- Alexandra Johnston PhD student (School of Education)
What we do
In this bubble we explore the use of virtual and augmented reality to simulate presence in school and early childhood settings, to interact with a virtual baby and to go beyond the walls of the classroom. We also focus on ‘learning to look’ in order to develop skills of observation, description and interpretation, which enable us to see learning and construct meaning in varied contexts.
Who are our partners
- Association for Visual Pedagogies
Read more about our work
- White, E. J. (2020). Seeing the world through children's eyes : visual methodologies and approaches to research in the early years. Brill Sense.
- Cooper, G.,Park, H.,Nasr, Z.,Thong, L.,Johnson, R. (2019). Using virtual reality in the classroom: preservice teachers' perceptions of its use as a teaching and learning tool In: Educational Media International, 56, 1 – 13
- Cooper, G.,Thong, L. (2018). Implementing Virtual Reality in the Classroom: Envisaging Possibilities in STEM Education In: STEM Education: An Emerging Field of Inquiry, Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, Netherlands
- Windsor, S.,Kriewaldt, J.,Nash, M.,Lilja, A.,Thornton, J. (2020). Developing teachers: adopting observation tools that suspend judgement to stimulate evidence-informed dialogue during the teaching practicum to enrich teacher professional development In: Professional Development in Education, 1 - 15
- Nash, M.,Kent, H.,Reid, C. (2014). Moving across Figured Worlds: The integration of Physical Education, Literacy and the Visual in Cultural Spaces In: Inter-discipline: Art Association of Australia and New Zealand (AAANZ) Conference 2013, Melbourne, Australia, 7-9 December 2013.