Translating and Interpreting

If you already speak the language, but want to build the skills you need to act as a translator or interpreter, RMIT offers accredited translating and interpreting courses for 39 languages, all the way up to postgraduate level.

If you undertake 3 or 4 subjects x 12 credit points (i.e. 36 or 48 credit points), you are considered a full-time student. If you undertake 1 or 2 subjects (i.e. 12 or 24 credit points), you are considered a part time student. International students must study full-time, otherwise you are free to decide your study load.

This depends on the subjects you undertake. You will be required to come in at different times of the day and on different days of the week.

The class schedule is subject to classroom availability and lecturer availability. Most classes are held during business hours on weekdays. However, it is more likely that the tutorials or workshops for the translating and interpreting subjects may be scheduled after hours. The courses do not tend to schedule any classes on weekends.

Translating and interpreting courses are demanding. On average, for every contact hour of each subject, you will be expected to devote two hours for studying.

Part-time students undertake either one or two subjects per semester. These courses do not run a separate part-time stream. You simply attend the subjects you enrol in as per the timetable. 

All the lectures are recorded and uploaded to the online learning platform and can be completed online. However, tutorials and workshops will not be recorded due to their interactive nature.

No attendance will be taken for each class, however, you are encouraged to attend class as much as you can. 

We cater for most languages.

For languages for which we have enough numbers, you will attend lectures delivered in English, and tutorials or workshops delivered in your other language.

For languages for which smaller numbers, you will attend lectures delivered in English, and tutorials or workshops of a mixed language group facilitated in English. Additionally,  you will record you bilingual practice for a senior practitioner to provide feedback. We may also facilitate occasional face-to-face meetings with the senior practitioner for you to ask questions.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand* citizen, or an Australian permanent resident, you can apply for Commonwealth Supported Places. Learn more.

We would also suggest that you explore the HECS-HELP loan scheme that allows fees to be deferred. Note: New Zealand citizens are unable to access the HELP loan.

Our programs are NAATI Endorsed Qualifications. Once you have finished your degree, you can apply to sit for the NAATI certification exams. Institutions no longer run the exams and thus, a separate external exam has to be passed upon graduation in order to gain the relevant certification.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business. - Artwork created by Louisa Bloomer