The application of statistics is pervasive in almost all human and scientific endeavours. It is therefore of vital importance that all people who wish to further their knowledge of statistical methodology be able to combine a strong theoretical foundation with practical applications of current techniques employed by professionals in industry, research and teaching. We aim to help people learn and apply statistical modelling to physical, biological, sporting and economic phenomena. This will enable them to be contribute to applied research and development in industry, commerce and research. Particular emphasis is placed on the acquisition and analysis of data using computer-based technology. Our expertise includes all facets of data analysis, design and analysis of experiments, forecasting, quality control, quality assurance, capability analysis, statistical inference, game theory applications and queuing theory. We also have a strong focus on promoting the scholarship of learning and teaching in statistics education. We are dedicated to building the statistical capacity of our graduates, industry partners and wider community.
Dr Mali Abdollahian
Our problem-solving approach contributes to innovative and outcome-driven research in a broad ranges of areas across academia, government and industry.
Grants (2014 -)
- Virtualising Science: Using an Online World to Immerse Junior Secondary School Students in Real Applications of Maths and Science Curriculum. Funded by: DIICCSRTE Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT) Grants 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Near Miss Grant (RMIT University, P. Zeephongsekul, $25,000 , 2015).
- Robust Algorithms for an Open Source Software Reliability Tool (NSF, Principal Investigator Dr. L. Fiondella, $124,999, 2015 – 2017).
- New statistical approaches for analysing foodwebs and species distributions. (ARC Discovery, Chief Investigators Lewi Stone, Ascelin Gordon, Yan Wang, $295,900 ,2015 – 2017, $295,900)
Industry research projects
- Badminton Australia. Prediction of Commonwealth and Olympic Games qualification and athlete performance analytics.
- Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS) and Melbourne Vixens. Ball tracking, game analysis and data collection for performance analytics for the Vixens. Statistical analysis of Women’s Olympic Pistol Shooting and ongoing collaboration with Wheelchair Rugby Australia.
- Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)
- AFL. Various projects investigating the impact of injury on interchange and match outcomes and travel and fatigue effects
- ProWess Sports: Beginning in 2007, RMIT and Prowess have undertaken a number of collaborative projects, including Phases of play, interchange analysis and link plays.
- Ulin Hospital (RSUD Ulin) Banjarmasin Indonesia and Department of Mathematics Lambung Mangkurat University, Banjararu, Indonesia. Developing strategies for reducing new borne mortality rate in Indonesia.
- City West Water Corporation. The proposal and development the methodologies for designing economical sampling plans to assist City West Water’s annual sampling strategy to comply with the Australian Standard.
- Fonterra New Zealand. Designing multivariate quality control procedures and optimum regime for the calibration of their lab machines.
- St. Vincent’s Hospital ICU department in Melbourne, Australia. Monitoring patient’s progress after cardiac surgery through multivariate control procedures.
- Australian Pine Timber industry. Controlling the inaccuracies of the timber grading and controlling quality of timber from one batch to another.
- Heinz Food Processing Company. Designing an optimal quality assurance scheme for sampling inspection and quality auditing using the national quality assurance guidelines.
- National Electrical Contractors Association. Survey and analysis work to determine the health and safety of workers.
- Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council. Development and assessment of an online tool used to determine the risk of products for the consumer market.
- VTAC. Statistical analysis and advice for a report assessing the value of moving VTAC to improve accessibility to the wider community.
- Barwon Health, Geelong Hospital. Investigating predictors of post-operative survival in elderly populations.
- National Hospital of Pediatrics, Hanoi, Vietnam. Establishing reference intervals for the diagnosis of neuroblastoma in Vietnamese children. This work has been published in the journal Clinical Biochemistry.
- Victorian Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders (VACRO). Analysis of internal survey data used to guide strategic decision making.
- Victorian Legal Aid. Analysis of survey data and general statistical advice for internal reporting purposes.
Current HDR candidates (2014-)
- Dewi Anggraini - Development of Multivariate Quality Control and Assurance Models for Antenatal Care Service in Indonesia (PhD).
- Aaron Corris - Development and Evaluation of Statistical Models to Predict Match Results (Masters by Research).
- Michael De Lorenzo - Evaluating the Importance of Games in Professional Sports and the Effect on Team and Player Performance (PhD).
- Nadeera Gunaratne – Multivariate Process Variability Monitoring (PhD)
- Jason Hunt - Linking spatial Movement with In-Play Data (PhD).
- Gabriel Deng Makuei – Performance Evaluation of the Procedures Aimed at Reducing maternal Mortality Rate in South Sudan (PhD).
- Minh Huynh - Bringing the Island to schools Improving student attitudes towards statistics (PhD).
- Bradley O’Bree - Mathematical Modelling in Professional Golf and Ice Hockey Prediction of Player Performance and Simulation of Tournament and Match Outcomes (PhD).
- Osama Alamri-A Service Level Agreement Based on Multiple Customers in a Supply Chain (PhD).
- Jong Ho Park - Basketball prediction modelling (PhD).
- Vira Koshkina – Species distribution modelling (PhD).
Past HDR candidates (2013- )
- Nipun Agarwal- Psychological Pricing in Mergers and Acquisitions, 2013 (Masters by Research).
- James Baglin - Evaluating Learning Theory-based Methods for Improving the Learning Outcomes of Introductory Statistics Courses, 2014 (PhD).
- Raymond Bedford – From Seabed to Management – a Whole System Model, 2015 (PhD).
- Chathuri L. Jayasinghe - Nonparametric Approach to Reliability and its Applications, 2013 (PhD).
- Michelle Viney - Prediction of In-Play Tennis, 2015, (PhD).
- Ummul Fahri Abdul Rauf – A Copula-based Analysis of Flood Phenomena in Victoria, Australia, 2014 (PhD).
- Xu Zhang – Game Theoretical Approach in Supply Chain Management, 2014 (PhD).
Collaborators and External Members
- Dr. Lance Fiondella, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, USA.
Undertake a research degree
Prospective Higher Degree by Research applicants should contact one of our academic or post-doc members to discuss supervision of a research project.
Related research degrees