Babak Abbasi is Associate Professor of Business Analytics. Previously, he was Senior Lecturer of Statistics and Operations Research and Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering. He uses analytical methods to help design better policies and make better decisions. For example, Babak recently worked on improving blood supply chain in Australia that helps make better decisions on using donated blood for saving lives.
Babak’s research focuses on industry-motivated quantitative modelling and decision making under uncertainty applied to blood service, not for profit organisations and government, healthcare delivery improvement, supply chain coordination, resources allocation, service operations management and manufacturing.
His research interests fall in the domain of Operations Research, Simulation, Probabilistic and Bayesian models, Categorical Data Analysis, Operations Management, Big Data Analytics and Healthcare Analytics.
Babak is an active reviewer for several journals including Decision Sciences, International Journal of Production Research, International Journal of Production Economics, European Journal of Operational Research, Computers and Operations Research, Computers and Industrial Engineering, European Journal of Industrial Engineering, Communications in Statistics and Computational Statistics.
For a complete list of Babak’s publications visit Google Scholar
He has completed several research projects, grants and consultancy projects with various industries. His recent funded research projects and grants include:
- Shelf life analysis in blood supply chain
- Improving the blood supply chain in Australia
- Brain attacks in children: Operations research modelling for appropriate identification of paediatric stroke patients
- Statistical analysis and data mining of IgG level associations with donor characteristics
- Blood components demand forecasting in Australia
He is a member of INFORMS and Australian Society for Operations Research (ASOR).
- School of Mathematical and Geospatial Science Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Coordinator
- Node Leader, Australian Technology Network's Industry Doctoral Training Centre (IDTC)
- Research committee member in School of Business IT and Logistics
- Developing Business Analytics Program/Courses
- MATH1298 - Categorical Data Analysis
- MATH1312- Regression Analysis
- MATH1322- Computational Statistics
- MATH2202- Data Prep. For Analytics
- MATH2200 – Statistics 1
- OMGT1058 – Transport Economics
- BSc in IE (IUST)
- MSc in IE (Sharif University of Technology)
- G.C. in Tertiary Teaching and Learning (RMIT)
- PhD in IE (Sharif University of Technology)
- Clay, N.,Abbasi, B.,Eberhard, A.,Hearne, J. (2018). On the volatility of blood inventories In: International Transactions in Operational Research, 25, 215 - 242
- Shahparvari, S.,Abbasi, B.,Chhetri, P.,Abareshi, A. (2018). (In Press) Fleet routing and scheduling in bushfire emergency evacuation: A regional case study of the Black Saturday bushfires in Australia In: Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, , 1 - 21
- Arashpour, M.,Wakefield, R.,Abbasi, B.,Arashpour, M.,Hosseini, M. (2018). Optimal process integration architectures in off-site construction: Theorizing the use of multi-skilled resources In: Architectural Engineering and Design Management, 14, 46 - 59
- Dehghani, M.,Abbasi, B. (2018). An age-based lateral-transshipment policy for perishable items In: International Journal of Production Economics, 198, 93 - 103
- Arashpour, M.,Abbasi, B.,Arashpour, M.,Hosseini, M.,Yang, R. (2017). Integrated management of on-site, coordination and off-site uncertainty: Theorizing risk analysis within a hybrid project setting In: International Journal of Project Management, 35, 647 - 655
- Abbasi, B.,Vakili, G.,Chesneau, S. (2017). Impacts of reducing the shelf life of red blood cells: A view from down under In: Interfaces, 47, 336 - 351
- Nikzad, E.,Amiri, A.,Abbasi, B. (2017). Residuals based process capability indices for two-stage processes In: Journal of Industrial Engineering International, 13, 239 - 247
- Roozbahani, R.,Abbasi, B.,Schreider, S. (2017). Determining location and capacity of dams through economic and environmental indicators In: Water Resources Management, 31, 4539 - 4556
- Shahparvari, S.,Abbasi, B. (2017). Robust stochastic vehicle routing and scheduling for bushfire emergency evacuation: An Australian case study In: Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 104, 32 - 49
- Jahani, H.,Abbasi, B.,Alavi Fard, F. (2017). Supply chain network reconfiguration in new products launching phase In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM 2017), Singapore , 10-13 December 2017
- AMSI Industry Internship Program - Seyedeh Hosseinfard. Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Contract from (2011 to 2011)
11 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions