Dr Rana Ahmed is a Lecturer in Pharmacy and Early Career Development Fellow within the School of Health and Biomedical Sciences at RMIT University.
Dr Rana Ahmed graduated with a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree with first class honours from the Faculty of Pharmacy at The University of Sydney in 2010. She was subsequently awarded a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree in Pharmacy Practice from the same faculty in 2015. Her research involved working closely with consumers and clinicians to develop an innovative information resource which promotes quality use of medicines and encourages shared decision making. For this work, Rana received the National MedicineWise Award for Excellence in Consumer Initiatives (Population Level) at the 2014 National Medicines Symposium.
Over the course of her PhD candidature, Rana published a number of research articles in peer-reviewed journals which have since been cited over 180 times and participated in a number of national and international conferences. Between 2011 and 2015, Rana was employed as a Casual Academic in the Faculty of Pharmacy at The University of Sydney during which time she instructed in both undergraduate and postgraduate programs across a variety of units of study. In her most recent role at NPS MedicineWise, Rana led the development and implementation of qualitative research projects with health professionals, identifying issues related to the quality use of medicines and medical tests in order to inform the design and development of national education programs for clinicians.
Rana is passionate about research efforts which aim to minimise the burden of chronic diseases on individuals and communities, promote the quality use of medicines and empower consumers' treatment decisions.
- Course coordinator
- Early career development fellow
- 2015- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD, Pharmacy Practice), The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- 2010- Bachelor of Pharmacy, Honours Class I, The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- 2017 (Aug) – Present – Lecturer (Pharmacy Discipline) and Early Career Development Fellow, RMIT University, Australia
- 2015 (Jun) – 2015 (Aug); 2016 (Feb) – 2017 (Aug) - Formative Research Officer, National Prescribing Service (NPS MedicineWise), Australia
- 2011 (Mar) – 2015 (Jun) – Casual Academic, Faculty of Pharmacy, The University of Sydney, Australia