Dr. Kamrul Ahsan is a senior lecturer of Supply Chain and Project Management at the School of Business IT and Logistics, RMIT University.
Dr. Ahsan has a positive track record of academic research, teaching and higher degree research supervision.
He has been teaching since 2003 in business schools in the supply chain management, project management and operations management areas. He has experience of program administration, course coordination, and curriculum development. He was program director of Master of Supply Chain Management and Bachelor of Business (Supply Chain and Logistics Management) in Victoria University. He has taught customized courses to industry professionals such as Linfox, Australia, and Beca Construction, NZ.
He has teaching experience in multi-cultural environments within an international arena. He has worked at College of Business, Victoria University, Melbourne; School of Business, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand; Bang College of Business, KIMEP, Kazakhstan; and Industrial and Production Engineering Department, BUET, Bangladesh. He was a visiting research fellow at University of Missouri, St. Louis, USA and visiting research scholar at the School of Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand.
Dr. Ahsan has higher degree research (HDR) supervision experience. Prior to joining RMIT, he successfully completed three PhD and one Masters by research supervision. His research specialisation areas include product returns and recalls, sustainability in supply chain, project performance analysis, project procurement and contracts, international development project issues, and modelling of supply chain problems.
He has published consistently in peer reviewed international journals such as International Journal of Project Management, Project Management Journal, International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications, International Transactions in Operational Research, Journal of Operational Research Society, and Asia Pacific Journal of Operational Research.
Dr. Ahsan has been increasingly recognized by the research and professional community and has received several prestigious awards and scholarships throughout his career (some are listed below).
Awards and recognition
- The Project Management Institute (PMI) New Zealand research achievement award 2011
- The best paper award for “development of the cascade reuse hybrid manufacturing/remanufacturing system”, the 21st International Conference on Production Research (ICPR 21), July 31 - August 4, 2011 in Stuttgart, Germany.
- International Research Fellowship 2007, University of Missouri, St. Louis, USA; awarded by the Faculty of Business, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship: 2000-2003
- H.M. the King’s Scholarship (Thailand), 1996-1997
- The Chancellor’s Award 1986 (awarded by the President of Peoples Republic of Bangladesh)
- Current teaching responsibilities include:
- Undergraduate course: Retail and Service Logistics
- Postgraduate course: Business Project Management
- HDR supervision in supply chain and project management areas using various research methodologies such as empirical research with SEM, multi-criteria decision modelling, optimisation and qualitative case study
- External HDR thesis examination
- PhD in Industrial Engineering and Management (TITech, Japan), 2003
- M. Eng. in Industrial Engineering and Management (AIT, Thailand), 1997
- B. Sc. in Mechanical Engineering (BUET, Bangladesh), 1995
Journal editorial membership
- Associate Editor, Operations and Supply Chain Management (OSCM): an International Journal
- Associate Editor, The Journal of Japanese Operations Management and Strategy, JOMSA, Japan
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Project Organisation and Management (IJPOM), Inderscience
- Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Information Technology Project Management (IJITPM), IGI- Global
- International Journal of Project Management
- International Journal of Logistics Management
- International Journal of Physical Distribution of Logistics Management
- Operations and Supply Chain Management: an International Journal
- Member, Association for Operations Management (APICS)
- Member, Project Management Institution (PMI)
- Member, Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS)
- Charted Member, the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport Australia (CILTA)
- Member, ANZAM
- Conference co-chair, the 6th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management (OSCM), Bali, 10 – 12 December 2014
- Invited speaker, ‘Life beyond the PhD, building an academic career in operations, supply chain and service management’, Operations, Supply Chain and Service Management Special Interest Group, ANZAM, May 19, 2014, RMIT University
- Conference Chair at the 11th Annual Contract Performance Management Summit, 23 & 24 February 2009, Stamford Plaza, Auckland, New Zealand
- Invited speaker, “Sustainable apparel supply chain” by the DePaul University, Chicago, USA, May 14, 2008
- International research fellowship recipient seminar on “Product returns management” at the Center for Transportation Studies, College of Business Administration, University of Missouri, St. Louis, USA, April 22, 2008
- Invited speaker, “Attaining sustainability in apparel supply chain”, Department of Management of Technology, SIIT, Thammasat University, Thailand, March 27, 2008
- Visiting research fellow seminar, “Linking products returns with customer service for a competitive advantage” at School of Management, Asian Institute of Technology, March 19, 2008
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2017). Green public procurement implementation challenges in Australian public healthcare sector In: Journal of Cleaner Production, 152, 181 - 197
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2016). An investigation into critical service determinants of customer to business (C2B) type product returns in retail firms In: International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 46, 606 - 633
- Horgan, I.,Ahsan, K.,Miah, S. (2016). The importance of attributional trust to corporate reputation In: Journal of Relationship Marketing, 15, 109 - 134
- Limoubpratum, C.,Shee, H.,Ahsan, K. (2015). Sustainable distribution through coopetition strategy In: International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications: A Leading Journal of Supply Chain Management, 18, 424 - 441
- Donato, M.,Ahsan, K.,Shee, H. (2015). Resource dependency and collaboration in construction supply chain: Literature review and development of a conceptual framework In: International Journal of Procurement Management, 8, 344 - 364
- Limoubpratum, C.,Shee, H.,Ahsan, K. (2015). Influence of coopetition and freight consolidation on sustainable distribution In: The Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings, Vancouver, Canada, 7-11 August 2015
- Pinmanee, S.,Ahsan, K.,Shee, H. (2015). Determinants of agricultural logistics integration: a study on Thai egg industry In: Proceedings of the 13th ANZAM Operations, Supply Chain and Services Management Symposium (ANZAM 2015), Melbourne, Australia, 31 May - 2 June 2015
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2015). Green procurement challenges in public hospitals: A case of Queensland state In: The Proceedings of 20th International Symposium on Logistics, Bologna, Italy, 6-8 July 2015
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2015). An investigation into challenges of green procurement in Australian public hospitals In: Proceedings of the 13th ANZAM Operations, Supply Chain and Services Management Symposium (ANZAM 2015), Melbourne, Australia, 31 May - 2 June 2015
- Ahsan, K.,Rahman, S. (2014). An investigation into critical service determinants of product returns in retail firms In: The Proceedings of 19th International Symposium on Logistics, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 6-9 July 2014
6 PhD Current Supervisions