Past academic experience
- 2014-2016, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Sehir University, Turkey
- 2010-2014, Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Sehir University, Turkey
- 2002-2007, Instructor, Research/ Teaching Assistant, Department of Applied Mathematics & Statistics, Johns Hopkins University, USA
- 1998-1999, Research/ Teaching Assistant, Department of Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, USA
- 1996, Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Statistical machine learning
- Data analytics
- Applied statistics
- Stochastic approximation
For more information about Dr. Vural Aksakalli’s research activity, please visit his personal website.
To view Dr Aksadalli's publications list see:
Project activity in the last 5 years
- Co-Principal Investigator, "Optimal simultaneous obstacle neutralization and disambiguation", Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 2016 – 2018.
- Principal Consultant, "Customer behavior prediction and revenue optimization in meta web search engines", MetGlobal Ltd., Istanbul, 2015 – 2016.
- Principal Consultant, "Mobile internet advertising analysis & optimization", Angelfish LLC, Istanbul, 2014 – 2016.
- Principal Investigator, "Graph theoretic modelling of ship navigation and utility optimization of anchorages", TUBITAK, 2013 - 2016.
- Principal Investigator, "Iterative algorithms for Markov decision processes", TUBITAK, 2011 - 2013.
- Principal Consultant, "Predicting traffic load in Istanbul highways", Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, 2011 – 2013.
Lecturer of analytics
- Supervise postgraduate research students
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses
- Ph.D. Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 2007, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Supervisor: Prof. Donniell E. Fishkind, Co-supervisor: Prof. Carey E. Priebe
- M.Sc. Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 2004, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- M.Sc., Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, 1999, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
Supervisor: Prof. Yahya Fathi
- B.Sc., Mathematics, 1996, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- 2007-2010, Senior Consultant, Lityx LLC, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- 2001-2002, Optimization Software Engineer, JDA Software, Washington, D.C., USA
- 2000-2001, Operations Research Analyst, JDA Software, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- January 1997-December 1997, Researcher, National Research Institute of Electronics and Cryptography, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Suleiman, M.,Demirhan, H.,Boyd, L.,Girosi, F.,Aksakalli, V. (2020). Incorporation of expert knowledge in the statistical detection of diagnosis related group misclassification In: International Journal of Medical Informatics, 136, 1 - 9
- Mahdadi, B.,Aksakalli, V. (2020). A stochastic approximation approach to spatio-temporal anchorage planning with multiple objectives In: Expert Systems with Applications, 146, 1 - 14
- Algin, R.,Fuat Alkaya, A.,Aksakalli, V. (2019). Hybridization of Migrating Birds Optimization with Simulated Annealing In: Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Springer, Switzerland
- Yildirim, S.,Aksakalli, V.,Fuat Alkaya, A. (2019). Canadian Traveler Problem with Neutralizations In: Expert Systems with Applications, 132, 151 - 165
- Aslan, U.,Fuat Alkaya, A.,Yildirim, S.,Aksakalli, V. (2019). Any angle path finding in stochastic obstacle scenes In: ICAAI 2019: Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Advances in Artificial Intelligence, Istanbul, Turkey, 26-28 October 2019
- Suleiman, M.,Demirhan, H.,Boyd, L.,Girosi, F.,Aksakalli, V. (2018). Bayesian logistic regression approaches to predict incorrect DRG assignment In: Health Care Management Science, 22, 364 - 375
- Aksakalli, V.,Oz, D.,Fuat Alkaya, A.,Volkan Aydogdu, Y. (2017). Optimal naval path planning in ice-covered waters In: International Journal of Maritime Engineering, 159, 63 - 75
- Aksakalli, V.,Malekipirbazari, M. (2016). Feature selection via binary simultaneous perturbation stochastic approximation In: Pattern Recognition Letters, 75, 41 - 47
- Aksakalli, V.,Furkan Sahin, O.,Ari, I. (2016). An AO* based exact algorithm for the Canadian traveler problem In: INFORMS Journal on Computing, 28, 96 - 111
- Yildirim, S.,Aksakalli, V.,Fuat Alkaya, A. (2016). Disambiguation points sampling heuristic for the stochastic obstacle scene problem In: Proceedings of the 2016 International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 8-10 March 2016
Machine learning, Stochastic optimization, Applied probability and statistics
8 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions