Past academic experience
- 2014-2016, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Sehir University, Turkey
- 2010-2014, Assistant Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, Istanbul Sehir University, Turkey
- 2002-2007, Instructor, Research/ Teaching Assistant, Department of Applied Mathematics & Statistics, Johns Hopkins University, USA
- 1998-1999, Research/ Teaching Assistant, Department of Industrial Engineering, North Carolina State University, USA
- 1996, Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Statistical machine learning
- Data analytics
- Applied statistics
- Stochastic approximation
For more information about Dr. Vural Aksakalli’s research activity, please visit his personal website.
To view Dr Aksadalli's publications list see:
Project activity in the last 5 years
- Co-Principal Investigator, "Optimal simultaneous obstacle neutralization and disambiguation", Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK), 2016 – 2018.
- Principal Consultant, "Customer behavior prediction and revenue optimization in meta web search engines", MetGlobal Ltd., Istanbul, 2015 – 2016.
- Principal Consultant, "Mobile internet advertising analysis & optimization", Angelfish LLC, Istanbul, 2014 – 2016.
- Principal Investigator, "Graph theoretic modelling of ship navigation and utility optimization of anchorages", TUBITAK, 2013 - 2016.
- Principal Investigator, "Iterative algorithms for Markov decision processes", TUBITAK, 2011 - 2013.
- Principal Consultant, "Predicting traffic load in Istanbul highways", Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, 2011 – 2013.
Lecturer of analytics
- Supervise postgraduate research students
- Teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses
- Ph.D. Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 2007, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Supervisor: Prof. Donniell E. Fishkind, Co-supervisor: Prof. Carey E. Priebe
- M.Sc. Applied Mathematics and Statistics, 2004, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- M.Sc., Operations Research and Industrial Engineering, 1999, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, North Carolina
Supervisor: Prof. Yahya Fathi
- B.Sc., Mathematics, 1996, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey
- 2007-2010, Senior Consultant, Lityx LLC, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- 2001-2002, Optimization Software Engineer, JDA Software, Washington, D.C., USA
- 2000-2001, Operations Research Analyst, JDA Software, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- January 1997-December 1997, Researcher, National Research Institute of Electronics and Cryptography, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- Guven, C.,Yuan, H.,Zhang, Q.,Aksakalli, V. (2021). When does daylight saving time save electricity? Weather and air-conditioning In: Energy Economics, 98, 1 - 20
- Belle, C.,Aksakalli, V.,Russo, S. (2021). A machine learning platform for the discovery of materials In: Journal of Cheminformatics, 13, 1 - 23
- Malekipirbazari, M.,Aksakalli, V.,Shafqat, W.,Eberhard, A. (2021). Performance comparison of feature selection and extraction methods with random instance selection In: Expert Systems with Applications, 179, 1 - 18
- Aksakalli, V.,Yenice, Z.,Malekipirbazari, M.,Kargar, K. (2021). Feature selection using stochastic approximation with Barzilai and Borwein non-monotone gains In: Computers and Operations Research, 132, -
- Suleiman, M.,Demirhan, H.,Boyd, L.,Girosi, F.,Aksakalli, V. (2020). Incorporation of expert knowledge in the statistical detection of diagnosis related group misclassification In: International Journal of Medical Informatics, 136, 1 - 9
- Mahdadi, B.,Aksakalli, V. (2020). A stochastic approximation approach to spatio-temporal anchorage planning with multiple objectives In: Expert Systems with Applications, 146, 1 - 14
- Suleiman, M.,Demirhan, H.,Boyd, L.,Girosi, F.,Aksakalli, V. (2020). A clinical coding recommender system In: Knowledge-Based Systems, 210, 1 - 13
- Algin, R.,Fuat Alkaya, A.,Aksakalli, V. (2019). Hybridization of Migrating Birds Optimization with Simulated Annealing In: Hybrid Intelligent Systems, Springer, Switzerland
- Yildirim, S.,Aksakalli, V.,Fuat Alkaya, A. (2019). Canadian Traveler Problem with Neutralizations In: Expert Systems with Applications, 132, 151 - 165
- Aslan, U.,Fuat Alkaya, A.,Yildirim, S.,Aksakalli, V. (2019). Any angle path finding in stochastic obstacle scenes In: ICAAI 2019: Proceedings of the 2019 3rd International Conference on Advances in Artificial Intelligence, Istanbul, Turkey, 26-28 October 2019
2 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions