Marco Amati is an Associate Professor in International Planning. He teaches and coordinates “The Urban Age” course (HUSO2341), for the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies.
While mainly focusing on trees and green spaces within urban environments, Marco is also interested in e-planning, urban agriculture, planning history and Asian cities.
Marco is currently Chief Investigator with Rob Freestone on an ARC Discovery Grant: DP120101732. $152,000 Exhibitionism: codifying and communicating planning culture in Australia 1913–1951.
Marco is registered for research supervision in the following areas:
urban green spaces
planning and health
peri-urban regions and food
land reform in developing countries
East Asian cities
internet and public participation.
He has supervised 4 Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students to completion and has been involved in the supervision of many other students. He was in charge of the administration of the ~70 HDR student experience for students in the Department of Environment and Geography (Macquarie University) 2009–2013.
PhD, University of Tsukuba, 2005
Master of Environmental Sciences, Trinity College Dublin, 1998
Bachelor of Environmental Sciences (Energy Option) Honours, Leeds University, 1996
Member of the Planning Institute of Australia (Environmental Planning Chapter)
Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- Hotker, M.,Steele, W.,Amati, M. (2020). When gambling fails: Caring-with urban communities at the local scale In: Cities, 100, 1 - 15
- Saunders, A.,Duncan, J.,Hurley, J.,Amati, M.,Caccetta, P.,Chia, J.,Boruff, B. (2020). Leaf my neighbourhood alone! predicting the influence of densification on residential tree canopy cover in Perth In: Landscape and Urban Planning, 199, 1 - 12
- Deilami, K.,Rudner, J.,Butt, A.,MacLeod, T.,Williams, G.,Romeijn, H.,Amati, M. (2020). Allowing Users to Benefit from Tree Shading: Using a Smartphone App to Allow Adaptive Route Planning during Extreme Heat In: Forests, 11, 1 - 15
- Hurley, J.,Saunders, A.,Boruff, B.,Duncan, J.,Knight, G.,Amati, M.,Sun, Q.,Caccetta, P.,Chia, J. (2020). Benchmarking Urban Vegetation Cover: Melbourne, Perth, Sydney In: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning Melbourne, Australia
- Sun, C.,MacLeod, T.,Both, A.,Hurley, J.,Butt, A.,Amati, M. (2020). A human-centred assessment framework to prioritise heat mitigation efforts for active travel at city scale In: Science of the Total Environment, , 1 - 39
- Dias Baptista, M.,Amati, M.,Fletcher, T.,Burns, M. (2020). The economic benefits of reductions in nitrogen loads from stormwater runoff by street trees In: Blue-Green Systems, 2, 267 - 281
- Hurley, J.,Amati, M.,Both, A.,Sun, Q. (2019). Urban Vegetation Cover Change in Melbourne 2012-2018 In: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning Melbourne, Australia
- Hurley, J.,Saunders, A.,Amati, M.,Boruff, B.,Both, A.,Sun, Q., et al, . (2019). Melbourne Metropolitan Region Urban Vegetation Cover: 2018 In: Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Victorian Government Melbourne, Australia
- Sun, Q.,Hurley, J.,Amati, M.,Saunders, A.,Arundel, J.,Boruff, B.,Caccetta, P. (2019). Urban Vegetation, Urban Heat Islands and Heat Vulnerability Assessment in Melbourne, 2018 In: Department of�Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Victorian Government Melbourne, Australia
- Butt, A.,Amati, M.,Sun, Q.,Deilami, K. (2019). Planning shadeways in Bendigo: an example of digital planning to adapt to extreme heat In: Proceedings of the 9th State of Australian Cities National Conference (SOAC 2019), Perth, Australia, 3 - 5 December 2019
- Where will all the trees be?. Funded by: Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited - Competitive from (2020 to 2020)
- Alive & Thriving - Phase 1 - Indoor plant survival matrix. Funded by: Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited - Contract (note the company is no longer eligible for CAT 1) from (2019 to 2019)
- Global review of incentive schemes for the retention and successful establishment of trees on private urban land (Administered by University of Melbourne). Funded by: Horticulture Innovation Australia Limited - Competitive from (2019 to 2019)
- Greening the West Strategy Refresh (Administered by GHD Pty Ltd). Funded by: City West Water Limited from (2019 to 2019)
- Enabling active travel in Australian cities by mapping shadeways (Smart Active Transport - Urban Heat Maps for Bendigo). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2017 to 2020)
2 PhD Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions