Anderson is Senior Lecturer and Program Director of the Masters of Landscape Architecture and is the coordinator of the Professional Practice stream.
Charles Anderson is a Landscape Architect and Artist with over thirty years experience making and exhibiting work in Australia and around the world. He has a distinguished reputation as an artist and designer, and has received numerous awards for his work, from both within and without the landscape architectural profession.
Charles’ research foregrounds the fertile character of collaborative, interdisciplinary, and process based modes of practice. Advocating new methods of approach and of attentiveness, and exploring new generative procedures, he argues that process thinking is not simply an operational stance, but an ethical position. Taking seriously the relationship between process thinking and place making Charles’ research advocates a mode of place making which, rather than reproduce planned environments as systems of control, configures place as a discursive contested meshwork of movement, encounter, and exchange.
In the School of Architecture and Design at RMIT University he is also leader of the X-Field Research Group, and a member of the Speculative Architecture Laboratory as well as the Spatial Information Architecture Laboratory (SIAL).
Anderson is founding director of Stutterheim / Anderson Landscape Architecture (SAALA), an award winning design practice based in Melbourne, and is a registered member of the Australian Institute of Landscape Architects.
- Keane, J.,Anderson, C. (2016). Human-non-human: the speculative robot In: Transformations, , 70 - 87
- McLeod, R.,Lacey, J.,Khoo, C.,Anderson, C. (2016). Mnemonica: The Artwork Remembers In: Korean Institute of Interior Design(KIID) holds the KIID International Invitation Exhibition Seoul, South Korea
- Ho, J.,Anderson, C.,Zakariya, K. (2013). Framed to be open: Exploring the strategies of planning university campuses in China In: Landscape Architecture Frontiers, 1, 52 - 66
- Anderson, C. (2013). Halpin Way, Settlers Square In: Australian Institute of Landscape Architects Dandenong, Australia
- Anderson, C. (2012). A geometry of encounter In: Exposure/00: Design Research in Landscape Architecture, Melbourne Books, Melbourne, Australia
- Ho, J.,Anderson, C. (2012). From line to thickness: Strategies and tactics for reviving marginal space In: LA China - Landscape Architecture China: Reviving Derelict Sites, Chinese Forrestry Publishing House, China
- Anderson, C.,Simpson, A. (2012). Bach Lane (Cloud Nine) In: Residential Alternations and Additions Melbourne, Australia
- Anderson, C.,Stutterheim, C.,Morgan, P. (2012). Lal Lal (Trunk House) In: Traces of Centuries & Future Steps', Palazzo Bembo Venice, Italy
- Anderson, C.,Schork, T.,Hwang, I. (2011). A House for Hermes 07 (Pt 2) - Curated by YeonHwa Yeom, Laurens Tan, BoYoung Jung & JooYoung Sohn In: Always on my Mind_Home Seoul, Korea
- Anderson, C. (2011). A House for Hermes 07 (Pt 1 & 3) - Curated by JooYoung Sohn, Laurens Tan, BoYoung Jung & YeonHwa Yeom In: Always on my Mind_Home Seoul, Korea
- X_Field Exhibition . Funded by: Australia-Korea Foundation from (2010 to 2011)
7 PhD Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions