Ding Wen 'Nic' Bao is a Lecturer in Architecture in the School of Architecture and Urban Design at RMIT, and Registered Architect in Australia and US, RIBA Chartered Architect in UK.
Nic Bao is a Lecturer in Architecture and Architecture Technology 3 Course Coordinator at the School of Architecture & Urban Design, RMIT University, having previously taught at the University of Melbourne, Monash University, Tongji University, etc.
His research explores design methodologies for establishing a complementary relationship among computational design, structural engineering, behavioural algorithms, and robotic fabrication. Nic is an Australian Registered Architect, US Registered Architect and UK RIBA Chartered Architect over eight years of practical experience. His work has been exhibited widely, including BoDW Hong Kong, Melbourne Design Week, IASS Expo Barcelona, Venice Biennale, Time + Architecture magazine and the permanent cover of Current Chinese Science.
He received the 2020 RMIT Civil Engineering Discipline Research Awards for Excellence; 2021 Young CAADRIA Award; 2021 RMIT Prize for Research Impact HDR (Design) and two significant first prizes in national and international competitions on structural optimisation and additive manufacturing in 2020 and 2019.
- Advanced architectural design, and algorithm development
- Innovative architectural structures and materials application
- Computational design, robotic fabrication and additive manufacturing technologies
- PhD Candidate (Civil Engineering and Architecture), 2021, RMIT University, Australia
- MArch (Architecture, Urban Design), 2014, University of Melbourne, Australia
- BArch (Architecture), 2012, RMIT University, Australia
- Officer/Committee, The Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia (CAADRIA)
- Committee, Digital Futures Association and Organization, China
- Committee, AIA National Practice Committee - Design Technology Advisory Group, Australia
- Level 1, Full Member, The Australia Institute of Architects, Australia
- Member, The International Association for Shell and Spatial Structure (IASS)
- Member, The Architect Society of China, China
- Chair of Architecture, Environment and Civil Engineering, Chinese Association of Professional and Scholars, Australia, 2018 - 2021
- Reviewer, Frontiers of Architectural Research journal
- Reviewer, Architectural Science Review journal
- Bao, D.,Xie, Y. (2021). Intelligent Form In: InclusiveFUTURES: The 11th DigitalFUTURES International 2021 Summer Workshop & Exhibition Shanghai, China
- Snooks, R.,Mohamed, H.,Boman, C.,Gibson, M.,Bao, D. (2021). Unclear Cloud - architectural structure In: Sampling the Future Melbourne, Australia
- Lin, S.,Bao, D.,Xie, Y.,Zhou, S. W. et al, . (2021). Human-made corals for marine habitats: Design optimization and additive manufacturing In: Advances in Engineering Software, 162-163, 1 - 12
- Ou, Y.,Bao, D.,Zhu, G.,Luo, D. (2021). Additive Fabrication of Large-Scale Customizable Formwork Using Robotic Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Winding In: 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing, , 1 - 13
- ZHU, G.,Ou, Y.,Bao, D.,Luo, D. (2021). Robotic Weaving of Customizable FRP Formworks for Large-scale Optimized Structure In: Proceedings of the 26th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia 2021, Hong Kong, China, 29 March 2021 - 01 April 2021
- Bao, D.,Yan, X.,Snooks, R.,Xie, Y. (2021). SwarmBESO: Multi-agent and Evolutionary Computational Design Based on the Principles of Structural Performance In: Proceedings of the 26th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia 2021, Hong Kong, China, 29 March 2021 - 01 April 2021
- Mohamed, H.,Bao, D.,Snooks, R. (2021). Super Composite: Carbon Fibre Infused 3D Printed Tectonics In: Proceedings of the 2020 DigitalFUTURES - The 2nd International Conference on Computational Design and Robotic Fabrication, Shanghai, China, 28 June 2020 - 06 July 2020
- Xiong, Y.,Bao, D.,Yan, X.,Xu, T.,Xie, Y. (2021). Lessons Learnt from a National Competition on Structural Optimization and Additive Manufacturing In: Current Chinese Science, 1, 151 - 159
- Yan, X.,Bao, D.,Xie, Y.,Zhou, Y.,Cui, T. (2021). Detail Control Strategies for Topology Optimization in Architectural Design and Development In: Frontiers of Architectural Research, 10, 1 - 17
- Bao, D.,Yan, X.,Snooks, R.,Xie, Y. (2020). Bioinspired Generative Architectural Design Form-Finding and Advanced Robotic Fabrication Based on Structural Performance In: Architectural Intelligence, Springer, Singapore