Dr Robyn Barnacle leads the research education team in the School of Graduate Research.Robyn oversees the skills training program provided for graduate researchers and the professional development and registration of supervisors. She is also an active researcher in the field of higher education broadly and research and researcher education and training in particular.
- Research education
- Researcher development
- PhD supervision
- Higher education policy and practice
- PhD (Philosophy) Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- BA (Hons) (First-class) Murdoch University, Perth, Australia.
- Barnacle, R.,Cuthbert, D.,Laurie, R. (2016). Exploring researcher motivation: Implications for PhD education In: Asia Pacific Graduate Education: Comparative Policies and Regional Developments, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, United States
- Dall'Alba, G.,Barnacle, R. (2015). Exploring knowing/being through discordant professional practice In: Educational Philosophy and Theory, 47, 1452 - 1464
- Barnacle, R.,Dall'Alba, G. (2014). Beyond skills: embodying writerly practices through the doctorate In: Studies in Higher Education, 39, 1139 - 1149
- Mewburn, I.,Tokareva, E.,Cuthbert, D.,Sinclair, J.,Barnacle, R. (2014). 'These are issues that should not be raised in black and white': the culture of progress reporting and the doctorate In: Higher Education Research and Development, 33, 510 - 522
- Sinclair, J.,Cuthbert, D.,Barnacle, R. (2014). The entrepreneurial subjectivity of successful researchers In: Higher Education Research and Development, 33, 1007 - 1019
- Barnacle, R.,Sinclair, J.,Cuthbert, D. (2013). Independence interrupted: creativity, context and the 'independent scholar In: Re-imagining the Creative University for the 21st Century, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Sinclair, J.,Barnacle, R.,Cuthbert, D. (2013). How the doctorate contributes to the formation of active researchers: what the research tells us In: Studies in Higher Education, 39, 1972 - 1986
- Allpress, B.,Barnacle, R.,Duxbury, L.,Grierson, E. (2012). Supervising practice-led research by project in art, creative writing, architecture and design In: Supervising Practices for Postgraduate Research in Art, Architecture and Design, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Barnacle, R. (2012). Becoming a practitioner-researcher-writer In: Supervising Practices for Postgraduate Research in Art, Architecture and Design, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, the Netherlands
- Barnacle, R.,Dall'Alba, G. (2011). Research degrees as professional education? In: Studies in Higher Education, 36, 459 - 470
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
1 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions
Research practice and knowledge generation; research education: pedagogy, practice and policy; ontology and learning.