Paul Battersby’s research and writing reflects the intellectual diversity of Global Studies at RMIT. He maintains an active interest in the history of Australia-Southeast Asia business and diplomatic relations but his principal area of scholarship currently addresses contemporary issues of global security, international development and transnational crime. His most recent work explores complex patterns of globalization and presents a new framework for investigating global crime.
Paul has supervised successful doctoral projects on Thai higher education, corporate social responsibility, local government reform in Thailand, and conflict early warning in Eastern Europe.
He is currently supervising projects that address questions of governance and corruption in Vanuatu, pharmaceutical companies and international law, trans-border criminal networks in Vietnam and Laos, UXOs and poverty in Vietnam, new development finance, language capacity and national security, and mining governance in Lao PDR.
- Convenor, Global Studies
Paul holds senior management responsibility for the Master of International Development, the Bachelor of Arts (International Studies) Honours and the Bachelor of Arts (International Studies). In addition he teaches courses on global risk and governance, global crime and Asian business
- BA (Honours) JCU
- PhD JCU
Paul provides media commentary on a wide range of topics including globalization, Australian and international security, and politics in Thailand.
- Lee, J.,Battersby, P.,Harris, V.,Hemana, C.,Romios, P. (2019). Australia Turning Inwards? Insights from Humanitarian Australians In: The Round Table, 108, 1 - 10
- Battersby, P. (2019). Problem Orientation In: The Oxford Handbook of Global Studies, Oxford University Press, New York, United States
- Battersby, P.,Farrell, R. (2018). Globalization and Law In: Springer Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy and Governance, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Battersby, P.,Roy, R. (2017). Globalization and global development practice In: International Development, Sage Publications Limited, London, United Kingdom
- Battersby, P.,Taveekan, T.,Nimbtik, G. (2017). Governance power and participation In: International Development: A Global Perspective on Theory and Practice, Sage Publications Limited, London, United Kingdom
- Battersby, P.,Farrell, R. (2017). Global Justice Intrernational Law and Development In: International Development: A Global Perspective on Theory and Practice, Sage Publications Ltd, London, United Kingdom
- Battersby, P. (2017). Changing patterns of social connection across interventions: Unravelling aberrant globalisation In: Rethinking Humanitarian Intervention in the 21st Century, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Battersby, P. (2014). Global sustainability in question In: SAGE Handbook of Globalization, Volume 2, Sage Publications, London, United Kingdom
- Battersby, P. (2014). Principles of global diversity In: SAGE Handbook of Globalization, Volume 2, Sage Publications, London, United Kingdom
- Battersby, P. (2014). Global crime and global security In: SAGE Handbook of Globalization, Volume 2, SAGE Publications, London, United Kingdom
12 PhD Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions