I conduct research using physical activity, resistance training and technology-based interventions within school settings and with clinical populations such as type 2 diabetes, for prevention and treatment of disease. I am also very interested in how mobile technology can be used in both teaching and research.
- Paediatric Exercise Science exploring the health benefits of physical activity in children and adolescents
- Insulin resistance, cardiorespiratory and musculoskeletal fitness in children and adolescents
- Obesity prevention in children and adolescents
- Resistance training interventions application to health and disease prevention)
- Physical Activity Interventions and the integration of technology
- Metabolic Health, Resistance Exercise and Training in people with type 2 diabetes
- Benson , A.C., Gordon, B.A.,Bird, S.R2010 ATN Centre for metabolic fitness Grant. Tracking the response to a single session of exercise in people with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin.
- Gordon, B.A, Bird, S.R, MacIsaac, R., Benson , A.C. Glycaemic variation in response to a single session of exercise in people with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin.
- Jenkinson, K.A, Naugton G., Benson , A.C., The GLAMA (Girls- Lead! Achieve! Mentor! Activate!) and BLAST (Boys! Lead! Activate! Succeed Together!) Peer Support and Leadership Program – Year 10 students lead Year 7 students in physical activity based activities to encourage the development of cooperation, transition from primary to secondary school, leadership and communication.
- Caia JP., Doyle, T, Benson , A.C., A cross-sectional lower-body power profile of Australian football players.
- Benson AC, Bruce, L. Measuring physical activity with an iphone app and sport specific GPS units, what is the difference?
- The effect of aerobic and resistance exercise training on vascular endothelial function in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. RMIT, Baker/IDI (DART funded) collaboration as part of Brett Gordon’s PhD.
- Benson , A.C.; Bauman, A.; Fiatarone Singh, M.A. ‘Nano Nano’ - Interactive technology intervention, physical activity, children and adolescents. RMIT Emerging Researcher Grant, 2008.
Summary of responsibilities
- Lecturer, Bachelor of Applied Sciences (Physical Education; Exercise Sciences)
- OHTH2123 Methods of Teaching Physical and Sports Education 2A (Course Coordinator)
- OHTH2124 Methods of Teaching Physical and Sports Education 2B (Course Coordinator)
- OHTH2146 (Teaching Senior Health and Physical Education) (Course Coordinator)
Academic management and administration responsibilities
- Year 2 Physical Education Coordinator, Discipline of Exercise Sciences
- Member - School of Medical Sciences Honours Committee
- Member - School of Medical Sciences Postgraduate Research Committee
- VCE Physical Education enhancement coordinator (Individual projects and LEAD certificate)
- Year 7-10 connections program coordinator (Individual projects and LEAD certificate)
- PhD, The University of Sydney (Australia) 2007
- Master of Science, Eastern Illinois University (U.S.A.) 1996
- BEd (Physical Education), Massey University (New Zealand) 1992
Diploma of Teaching, Palmerston North College of Education (New Zealand) 1992
- Accredited Exercise Physiologist (ESSA)
- VIT registered teacher
- Accredited Exercise Physiologist (ESSA)
- Victorian Institute of Teaching Registration (VIT)
- Member - American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Member - Exercise and Sports Science Australia Member (ESSA)
- VCE Physical Education Examination panel (Year 12 high school, Victoria) - 2011
- Expert comment on lactate inflection point for VCAA VCE PE information for teachers document – 2011
- Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) VCE Physical Education Review Panel (Unit 1-4), 2009
- External Expert on Course Development and Review Committee at another University
- External Expert for student PhD Confirmation of Candidature at other Universities
- Reviewer for a variety of peer reviewed journals and grants
- Hunter, J.,Gordon, B.,Lythgo, N.,Bird, S.,Benson, A. (2018). Exercise at an onsite facility with or without direct exercise supervision improves health-related physical fitness and exercise participation: An 8-week randomised controlled trial with 15-month follow-up In: Health Promotion Journal Australia, 29, 84 - 92
- Hyndman, B.,Benson, A.,Lester, L.,Telford, A. (2017). Is there a relationship between primary school children's enjoyment of recess physical activities and health-related quality of life? A cross-sectional exploratory study In: Health Promotion Journal of Australia, 28, 37 - 43
- Whittle, R.,Benson, A.,Telford, A. (2017). Enrolment, content and assessment: a review of examinable senior secondary (16-19 year olds) physical education courses: an international perspective In: Curriculum Journal, 28, 598 - 625
- Whittle, R.,Benson, A.,Telford, A. (2017). Exploring context specific teacher efficacy in senior secondary (VCE) physical education teachers In: Teaching and Teacher Education, 68, 21 - 29
- Whittle, R.,Benson, A.,Ullah, S.,Telford, A. (2017). Student performance in high-stakes examinations based on content area in senior secondary (VCE) physical education In: Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 22, 632 - 646
- Gordon, B.,Bird, S.,MacIsaac, R.,Benson, A. (2016). Does a single bout of resistance or aerobic exercise after insulin dose reduction modulate glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes? A randomised cross-over trial In: Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 19, 795 - 799
- Price, K.,Gordon, B.,Bird, S.,Benson, A. (2016). A review of guidelines for cardiac rehabilitation exercise programmes: Is there an international consensus? In: European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 23, 1715 - 1733
- Hyndman, B.,Benson, A.,Telford, A. (2016). Active play: exploring the influences on children's school playground activities In: American Journal of Play, 8, 325 - 344
- Lythgo, N.,Hunter, J.,Benson, A.,Gordon, B. (2016). Validity of the four square step test to assess dynamic balance, step velocity and displacement In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on the Development of Biomedical Engineering in Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 27-29 June 2016
- Jenkinson, K.,Benson, A. (2016). Designing higher education curriculum to increase graduate outcomes and work readiness: The Assessment and Mentoring Program (AMP) In: Mentoring and Tutoring: Partnership in Learning, 24, 456 - 470
- Tracking the response to a single session of exercise in people with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin.. Funded by: Australian Technology Network - Centre for Metabolic Fitness from (2010 to 2010)
- 'Nano Nano' - interactive technology (ipod), physical activity, children and adolescents. Funded by: RMIT Emerging Researcher Grants from (2008 to 2009)
2 PhD Current Supervisions5 PhD Completions