Professor Bhattacharya’s research and consulting expertise is in rheology, polymer processing, multiphase mixtures, slurry transport, waste recycle and treatment, nanocomposites and nanopigments.
He has received more than $5m in research grants in the last 10 years from the ARC, CRC for Polymers, Auto CRC, Nanotechnology Victoria, Aus Industry, Australia-India Strategic Research Foundation and collaborating private industries.
Professor Bhattacharya has supervised 35 PhD and 13 Masters students, and co-supervised 15 PhD students, in rheology, polymer processing, waste recycling, nanocomposities and nanopigments.
- Established the RMPC in 1988, and served as its director until 2008, developing it as the leading rheology and processing centre in Australia.
- Foundation Program leader of the CRC for Polymers at RMIT (1992 – 2006).
- Established RMIT as a leading Australian university in the research of extensional viscosity for polymers during 1990s. The technology developed in this area at the RMPC has been used in the Australian Polymer Industry with savings of millions of dollars. Developed and built the first extensional rheometer for polymer melts in Australia.
- Started Polymer Nanocomposite research at the RMPC in 2000. RMPC is now recognized as an internationally known research centre in this area. This research was extended to nanopigments in 2005. Currently leading a team for the development and commercialisation of new nanopigment products.
Conferences, lectures and editorial boards
- Presented some 30 keynote addresses and invited lectures over the last 10 years in Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Morocco, Singapore, New Zealand, the Netherlands, USA, Portugal, Brazil, South Korea, China and Germany.
- Organising Chairman, Co-Chairman of four conferences/symposiums on Rheology (1980-1990).
- Co-organiser, 2nd Pacific Rim Conference on Rheology (1997).
- Editorial Board Member, International Polymer Processing Journal and Journal of Polymer Engineering
- Chair, Polymer Nanocomposite/Nanostructured Materials workshop, Melbourne, 2002, 2005 and 2009
- Chair, International conference on Polymer Processing and Rheology (PPS-19), Melbourne, 2003
- Co-Chair, Nanotechnology Symposiums – PPS-21 Polymer Processing Conference, Germany, 2005, PPS-22 Japan ,2006, PPS-23 Brazil, 2007, PPS- 24 Italy, 2008, PPS-25 , 2009,India, PPS-26 Canada, PPS-27, 2011 Morocco, PPS-28 , 2012 Thailand, PPS-29, 2013, Germany
- Co-chair, Rheology and Rheometry Symposium, PPS-22 Polymer Processing Conference, Japan 2006.
Professor Bhattacharya’s has consulted and collaborated a large number of industries, including:
- CRC for Polymers (1992 -2006 )
- ORICA (2000 - 2006)
- Cryovac (2001 - 2005 )
- AMCOR (2003 - 2007)
- Anglo Gold Ashanti (2004 - 2007)
- Australian Mineral Ind. Association(AMIRA) (with South Africa) (2000 – 2006)
- Australian Tailings Consultants (2003-2009)
- Allied Color and Additives (2005 - 2009)
- Nanotechnology Victoria (2006 - 2009)
- Moldflow ( now Autodesk ), (2008 - )
- CSIRO, Highett (2002 - 08)
- Auto CRC ( 2006 - 2012)
- Raha, S., Quazi, N. and Bhattacharya. S. N., "Functional Particles" Provisional Patent, Submitted , 20 Sept. 2011, Filing No. 201212903847.
Sati Bhattacharya is Professor of Chemical Engineering and was the founding director of RMIT’s Rheology and Materials Processing Centre (RMPC).
Professor Bhattacharya taught and undertook research for 40 years in chemical, polymer and environmental engineering, at RMIT University. He also taught at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, India, University of Waterloo, Canada and Katholieke University, Belgium.
His current research activities include in areas such as concentrated dispersion rheology, polymer rheology, polymer processing, polymer nanocomposites and nanopigments.
- B Eng (Chem), University of Jadavpur, Calcutta, India
- M Tech (Chem Eng), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
- PhD (Chem Eng), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 1994 – current: Professor of Chemical Engineering ,RMIT University
- 1988 – 2008: Director, RMIT Rheology and Materials Processing Centre
- 1991 – 1993: Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- 1975 – 1990: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Principal Lecturer, Chemical Engineering, RMIT University
- Fellow, Institution of Chemical Engineers (U.K)
- Honorary Fellow, Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Member, Australian Society of Rheology
- Member, Society of Rheology, U.S.A.
- Australian Society of Rheology (ASR) Medal, 2013
- RMIT Vice-Chancellor’s award for research excellence, 2003
- RMIT Research awards, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006
- CRC for Polymers Chairman’s award, 2004.
- Perumal, D.,Gupta, R.,Bhattacharya, S.,Costa, F. (2020). Fiber migration in shear flow: Model predictions and experimental validation In: Polymer Composites, 40, 3573 - 3581
- Singh, S.,Ghosh, A.,Maiti, S.,Gupta, R.,Bhattacharya, S. (2020). (In Press) Rheological aspects and film processability of poly (lactic acid)/linear low-density polyethylene blends In: Polymer Engineering and Science, , 1 - 10
- Perumal, D.,Gupta, R.,Bhattacharya, S.,Costa, F. (2019). Fiber orientation prediction in nylon-6 glass fiber composites using transient rheology and 3-dimensional x-ray computed tomography In: Polymer Composites, 40, 392 - 398
- Perumal, D.,Gupta, R.,Bhattacharya, S.,Costa, F. (2019). Transient viscosity of fibre-filled composites incorporating evolution of fibre orientation and concentration In: Rheologica Acta, 59, 35 - 46
- Kashi, S.,Gupta, R.,Baum, T.,Kao, N.,Bhattacharya, S. (2018). Phase transition and anomalous rheological behaviour of polylactide/graphene nanocomposites In: Composites Part B: Engineering, 135, 25 - 34
- Kennedy, S.,Bhattacharjee, P.,Bhattacharya, S.,Eshtiaghi, N.,Parthasarathy, R. (2018). Control of the mixing time in vessels agitated by submerged recirculating jets In: Royal Society Open Science, 5, 1 - 11
- Islam, M.,Kao, N.,Bhattacharya, S.,Gupta, R.,Choi, H. (2018). Potential aspect of rice husk biomass in Australia for nanocrystalline cellulose production In: Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, 26, 465 - 476
- Kashi, S.,Gupta, R.,Kao, N.,Hadigheh, S.,Bhattacharya, S. (2018). Influence of graphene nanoplatelet incorporation and dispersion state on thermal, mechanical and electrical properties of biodegradable matrices In: Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 34, 1026 - 1034
- Momiroski, V.,Bhattacharya, S.,Davoody, M.,Bin Abdul Raman, A.,Parthasarathy, R. (2018). Size distribution of bubbles in agitated viscous Newtonian and non-Newtonian solutions In: Asia-Pacific Journal of Chemical Engineering, 13, 1 - 21
- Javadi, S.,Gupta, R.,Slatter, P.,Bhattacharya, S. (2017). Non-Newtonian thickened tailings slurry flow through open channels In: International Journal of Mining and Mineral Engineering, 8, 310 - 333
- Novel and cost effective mixing technique for anaerobic digesters in municipal wastewater treatment plants. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant pre-2014 Round 2 from (2013 to 2016)
- Modelling rheology and flow parameters of injection moulding of liquid crystal polymer materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2008 Round 2 from (2009 to 2013)
- Particle transport in turbulent non-Newtonian suspensions in self formed open channels. Funded by: ARC Discovery 2007 from (2007 to 2013)
- Processing of Smart Polymeric Biodegradable Composites. Funded by: Australia-India Strategic Research Fund Grant Pre-2014 from (2007 to 2010)
- Beach formation of non-segregating tailings. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects 2004 Round 1 from (2004 to 2007)
2 PhD Current Supervisions27 PhD Completions and 6 Masters by Research Completions