Dr Minghao Bi is a research assistant at the Centre for Innovative Structures and Materials (CISM), School of Engineering, RMIT University. His research focuses on designing and fabricating innovative structures using advanced manufacturing techniques.
Minghao received his B.Envs. and M.Eng. degrees in structural engineering with high distinction from the University of Melbourne in 2016 and 2018. He then completed his Doctor of Philosophy degree at RMIT University in 2022 with the thesis entitled ‘Generating structurally efficient forms for digital fabrication: a pathway to manufacturing-ready design’. During his PhD study, Minghao developed several novel design frameworks to generate structurally efficient and manufacturing-ready designs for additive manufacturing. Three research outputs have been published in the leading journal in the field—Additive Manufacturing.
Minghao’s fields of expertise include topology optimisation, finite element analysis, 3D modelling, digital fabrication, advanced manufacturing techniques and toolpath design for 3D printing.
- HDR supervision
- Research related to advanced manufacturing techniques and structural optimization
- PhD in Engineering, RMIT University
- MEng with Distinction in structural engineering, The University of Melbourne
- BEnvs in civil engineering, The University of Melbourne
- Bi, M.,He, Y.,Li, Z.,Lee, T.,Xie, Y. (2023). Design and construction of kinetic structures based on elastica strips In: Automation in Construction, 146, 1 - 11
- Xia, L.,Bi, M.,Wu, J.,Wang, F.,Wang, L.,Xie, Y.,Ma, G. (2023). Integrated lightweight design method via structural optimization and path planning for material extrusion In: Additive Manufacturing, 62, 1 - 13
- Bi, M.,Tran, P.,Xia, L.,Ma, G.,Xie, Y. (2022). Topology optimization for 3D concrete printing with various manufacturing constraints In: Additive Manufacturing, 57, 1 - 15
- Bi, M.,Tran, P.,Li, Z.,Xie, Y. M., et al, . (2022). Continuous contour-zigzag hybrid toolpath for large format additive manufacturing In: Additive Manufacturing, 55, 1 - 19