Julie Bilby is program manager for the Master of Advertising. She coordinates and teaches courses across the Advertising discipline, including creative, strategy and professional practice.
Prior to joining RMIT, Julie worked for many years as an art director across the advertising and publishing industries. She also has experience as a production manager in educational publishing. She maintains close ties with the advertising industry and is very interested in the relationship between the industry and academia.
Julie's PhD, completed at RMIT's School of Economics Finance and Marketing, focused on advertising creativity in China and explored both the views of advertising practitioners and responses of Chinese consumers to ad creativity.
Her ongoing research interests include digital advertising, advertising and consumer creativity, global communication and creative industries in Asia (particularly China).
- Doctor of Philosophy, RMIT University
Thesis: Advertising creativity in China: An examination of Chinese industry perceptions and consumer responses to advertising creativity
- Master of Business (Marketing), RMIT University
Minor thesis: An investigation of alternatives to invasive fundraising techniques for nonprofit organisations in Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (Visual Communication), RMIT University
- Bilby, J.,Koslow, S.,Sasser, S. (2021). (In Press) Fear in Adland: How Client Risk Aversion and Agency Clientelism Limit the Development of Great Creative Campaigns In: Journal of Advertising, 50, 1 - 18
- Bilby, J.,Reid, M.,Brennan, L.,Chen, J. (2020). Tiers and fears: An investigation of the impact of city tiers and uncertainty avoidance on Chinese consumer response to creative advertising In: Australasian Marketing Journal, 28, 332 - 348
- Bilby, J.,Petersen, S.,Parker, L. (2019). The Role of Creativity in a Digital World: Advertising Practitioner Views from China In: Advances in Advertising Research X, Springer Gabler, Wiesbaden, Germany
- Bilby, J.,Sinha, K. (2017). China: Unique approaches to advertising in a globalising world In: Global Advertising Practice in a Borderless World, Routledge, New York, United States
- Bilby, J.,Reid, M.,Brennan, L. (2016). The future of advertising in China: Practitioner insights into the evolution of Chinese advertising creativity In: Journal of Advertising Research, 56, 245 - 258
- Bilby, J. (2012). Advertising creativity in China: the moderating effect of cultural uncertainty avoidance on consumers' need for cognitive closure In: Altitude: An e-journal of emerging humanities work, 10, 1 - 11
1 PhD Current Supervisions