Jeffrey S. Brooks is Associate Dean for Research and Innovation and Professor in the School of Education at RMIT University. His research focuses on educational leadership, socio-cultural dynamics in schools and social justice.
Jeffrey S. Brooks is Associate Dean for Research and Innovation and Professor of Educational Leadership in the School of Education at RMIT University. He is a two-time J. William Fulbright Senior Scholar alumnus who has conducted studies in the United States, Australia, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and other cross-national contexts. His research focuses broadly on educational leadership, examining the way leaders influence (and are influenced by) dynamics such as racism, globalization, social justice, student learning and school reform.
Dr. Brooks is author of over 100 scholarly publications and he has been a leader and team member in projects that have garnered over 8 million dollars in extramural funding. He is author The Dark Side of School Reform: Teaching in the Space between Reality and Utopia (Rowman & Littlefield Education) and 2013 AESA Critics Choice Award-winner Black School, White School: Racism and Educational (Mis)leadership (Teachers College Press) and co-author of Foundations of Educational Leadership: Developing Excellent and Equitable Schools (Routledge). Dr. Brooks is also co-editor of twelve additional volumes, including Leading Against the Grain: Lessons for Creating Just and Equitable Schools (Teachers College Press), The Dark Side of Leadership: Identifying and Overcoming Unethical Practice in Organizations (Emerald), What Every Principal Needs to Know to Create Equitable and Excellent Schools (Teachers College Press), and Urban Educational Leadership for Social Justice: International Perspectives (Information Age). He is Series Editor for the Educational Leadership for Social Justice book series, co-Editor of the Journal of Educational Administration and History and the current Convener of the AARE Educational Leadership SIG.
Web site: www.jeffreysbrooks.com
Competitive Research Funding (internal and external)
2017 Improving principal preparation: A cross-national study between Israel and Australia. Australian Friends of Tel Aviv University - Monash University ("AFTAM"). Research Collaboration Awards. $12,000 (With Jane Wilkinson and Izhar Oplatka)
2017-2020 Victorian Principal Qualification Leadership Development Program. Bastow Institute for Leadership, Victorian Department of Education & Training. $5,100,000 (With Mark Rickinson, Jane Wilkinson, and Allie Clemens)
2017-2018 Educating For or Against Religious Extremism? The Australian-Indonesia Centre, Attitudes and Perceptions Tactical Research Project. $24,539 (With Melanie Brooks and Irwan Abdullah)
2016-2017 Principal Professional Learning Programs for the Zhejiang Provincial Department of Education. Zhejiang Provincial Department of Education. $160,000. (With Mark Rickinson, Bill Mulford, Philip Chan, Hongzhi Zhang, Jane Wilkinson, and Allie Clemans.
2016-2017 Leadership for Learning in Victoria. Bastow Institute for Leadership, Victorian Department of Education & Training. $45,240 (With Jane Wilkinson, Mark Rickinson and Allie Clemens)
2015-2017 Unlocking Potential Principal Preparation Program. Victorian Department of Education & Training $990,602 (With Jane Wilkinson, Mark Rickinson and Allie Clemens)
2016 Leadership for Social Justice in School Administrator Preparation. Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL). $6,690
2014 J. William Fulbright Specialist. U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and the Institute of International Education's Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) $11,051 Thailand Project #6051 (With Faculties of Education at Prince of Songkla University (Pattani and Phuket) and Srinakharinwirot University (Bangkok)
2010-2012 The Missouri Turnaround Schools Project: An Evaluation. Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. $208,000.00 (With Jay Paredes Scribner)
2010-2011 The University of Missouri Charter Schools Project: Providing Support and Evaluating Kansas City Charter Schools. Missouri Department of Secondary and Elementary Education. $158,131.00 (With Jay Paredes Scribner)
2008-2009 Building Individual Capacity for Success. AT&T Foundation, High School Reform Program. $400,000.00 (With Cynthia J. Reed and Lisa A. W. Kensler)
2007 J. William Fulbright Senior Scholar Research/Lecture Grant. J. William Fulbright Foundation, Council for International Exchange of Scholars & United States Department of State. $21,000.00. Capitol University, Cagayan de Oro, Philippines.
2013 Iowa State University International Grants Program, $10,000. Global Partnerships to improve the Human Condition through faculty development. Iowa State University and the University of Prishtina, Kosovo (With Melanie C. Brooks)
2012 Iowa State University International Grants Program and Prince of Songkla University. $15,000.) Global partnerships to promote multicultural education: An innovative multi-media project created jointly with Iowa State University and Prince of Songkla University in Pattani, Thailand. (With Melanie C. Brooks)
2011 Iowa State University Innovative Teaching Initiatives Program, College of Human Sciences. College-wide Qualitative Research Coursework Development and Refinement. $30,150. (With Carla Peterson)
- Ph.D., Educational Leadership, Educational Policy Analysis, University of Missouri-Columbia (May, 2003)
- M.Ed., English Education, University of Missouri-Columbia (December, 1999)
- B.A., English Literature & Composition University of Missouri-Columbia (December, 1995)
Professor Brooks has provided service, leadership, outreach and consultation to several educational organisations, both domestically and internationally. He has worked with the Leon County Schools, the Minority Student Achievement Network, University of Minnesota Urban Leaders Network, Capitol University (Philippines), Leyte Normal university (Philippines), Bukidnon State University (Philippines), University of Southeastern Philippines, University of Prishtina (Kosovo), East Asia Regional Council of Overseas Schools (EARCOS), Universiti Putra Malaysia (Malaysia), Victorian Department of Education & Training, Brisbane Independent Schools Network, University Council for Educational Administration (UCEA), American Educational Research Association Leadership for Social Justice Special Interest Group, American Educational Research Association Division A: Administration, Organizations and Leadership, and the American Educational Research Association Politics of Education Association Special Interest Group.
Professor Brooks has held many leadership positions in the American Educational Research Association and University Council for Educational Administration. He is the current convenor of the Australian Association for Research in Education Educational Leadership Special Interest Group. His work has involved numerous collaborations with schools, school systems, governments and universities worldwide.
- Brooks, M.,Brooks, J.,Mutohar, A.,Taufiq, I. (2020). Principals as socio-religious curators: progressive and conservative approaches in Islamic schools In: Journal of Educational Administration, 58, 677 - 695
- Brooks, J.,Watson, T. (2019). School Leadership and Racism: An Ecological Perspective In: Urban Education, 54, 631 - 655
- Brooks, M.,Brooks, J. (2019). Culturally (ir)relevant school leadership: Ethno-religious conflict and school administration in the Philippines In: International Journal of Leadership in Education, 22, 6 - 29
- Brooks, J.,Normore, A. (2018). Foundations of Educational Leadership: Developing Excellent and Equitable Schools, Routledge, New York, United States
- Brooks, J.,Normore, A. (2018). Jose Rizal: Leadership lessons from the national hero of the Philippines In: Leading against the grain: Lessons for creating just and equitable schools, Teachers College Press, New York, United States
- Brooks, J.,Normore, A.,Wilkinson, J. (2017). School leadership, social justice and immigration: Examining, exploring and extending two frameworks In: International Journal of Educational Management, 31, 679 - 690
- Brooks, J. (2017). The evolution of a revolution: Leadership lessons from Al Jourgensen and Ministry In: Educational Leadership and Music: Lessons for Tomorrow's School Leaders, Information Age Publishing , Charlotte, United States
- Brooks, J.,Rickinson, M.,Wilkinson, J. (2017). School Principals and Evidence Use: Possibilities and Problems for Preparation and Practice In: Evidence and Public Good in Educational Policy, Research and Practice, Springer Nature, Cham, Switzerland
- Brooks, J. (2016). Paradigm shift or paradigm stasis? An analysis of research on U.S. women in educational leadership from 1980 to 2004 In: Racially and Ethnically Diverse Women Leading Education: A Worldview, Emerald Group Publishing, Bingley, United Kingdom
- Brooks, J. (2016). Everything we know about educational leadership is wrong: Rethinking scholarship and practice for a fractured field In: Questioning Leadership: New Directions for Educational Organisations, Routledge, Oxon, United Kingdom
4 PhD Current Supervisions