Andrew is an Associate Professor in Sustainability and Urban Planning in the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies (GUSS) and the Centre for Urban Research (CUR) at RMIT.
Andrew is a planning educator and researcher with a focus on rural and regional planning issues. He has a background in planning practice and his current research and supervision is in the area of land use change and planning policy associated with regional Australia, food systems and peri-urban development.
Publications at Google Scholar.
- PhD, La Trobe University
- Master of Environmental Studies, University of Melbourne
- BA (Urban Studies) Victoria University
- Buxton, M.,Butt, A. (2020). The Future of the Fringe: the crisis in peri-urban planning, CSIRO, Melbourne, Australia
- Choice, G.,Butt, A. (2020). Making regions: localisation and the new periphery in emerging regional governance In: Australian Planner, , 1 - 13
- Winterton, R.,Butt, A.,Jorgensen, B.,Martin, J. (2019). Local government perspectives on rural retirement migration and social sustainability In: Australian Geographer, , 1 - 18
- Butt, A. (2019). Food security and planning In: The Routledge Companion to Rural Planning, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- Butt, A.,Stephenson, C. (2019). Tiny houses and planning regulation for housing alternatives: the context of regional Victoria In: Australian Planner, 55, 157 - 163
- Butt, A.,Taylor, E. (2018). Smells like politics: Planning and the inconvenient politics of intensive peri-urban agriculture In: Geographical Research, 56, 206 - 218
- Rudner, J.,Butt, A.,Lobo, M. (2018). Adjudicating faith: 20 years of secular decision-making for religious spaces In: Proceedings of the 8th State of Australian Cities National Conference (SOAC 2017), Adelaide, Australia, 28-30 November 2017
- Ratnayake, R.,Butt, A. (2018). Encounters with the unfamiliar: international planning education In: International Planning Studies, 23, 51 - 64
- Budge, T.,Butt, A. (2017). Farmland preservation in Australia In: Farmland Preservation: Land for Future Generations, University of Manitoba Press, Manitoba, Canada
- Butt, A.,Fish, B. (2016). Amenity, landscape and forms of peri-urbanisation around Melbourne, Australia In: Conflict and Change in Australia S Peri-Urban Landscapes, Taylor and Francis, Oxon, United Kingdom
1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Local Government Co-ordination: Metropolitan Governance in Twenty-first Century Australia. Funded by: AHURI Research Grants 2019 (CAT 1 Generic) from (2019 to 2020)
- Enabling active travel in Australian cities by mapping shadeways (Smart Active Transport - Urban Heat Maps for Bendigo). Funded by: Smart Cities and Suburbs Program - 2017 onwards from (2017 to 2020)