James Carey has an inherent curiosity to notions of process, time and duration. His practice is one of mark making, marking time, making time, and time making; foregrounding duration and marking an occurrence. Carey's technique is one of working responsively, allowing particular temporal conditions to surface within specific sites and situations. His marks – whether they be on canvas, a house, a building, or within a gallery – materialise immateriality and allow the residue of particular processes to be assembled as collections of materialised and spatialised time.
- INDEX Coordinator, Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours), School of Architecture and Design
- PhD by Project (Interior Design), RMIT University 2016
- Bachelor of Design (Honours, Interior Design), RMIT University 2005
- BA (Sociology, Chinese), Monash University, 1999.
- Popps Packing Artist Residency, Hamtramck, USA 2017
- Australia Arts Council grant, New Work, July 2010
- Honourable Mention, student exhibition for Blundell House, Shanghai Biennale 2007
- Carey, J. (2016). Sighting In: Sighting Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2016). untitled [7 hours] In: Between two homes Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2015). wall work[ing] 7 In: wall work[ing] 7 Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J.,Whitman, P.,Schut, S.,King, L.,Murray, P. (2015). Untitled [5 weeks] In: beginning in incompleteness: works in formation Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2014). The lightness of one and three doors In: SITUATION Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2014). 89964 seconds [paces] of drawing [walking] 2014 In: SafARI 2014 Sydney, Australia
- Carey, J. (2012). Domestic occupation http://contemporarysiteinvestigations.com/csi-featured-projects.html In: Contemporary Site Investigations (CSI) Flinders Street Station Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2012). Visual essay rendering the [im]material In: IDEA Journal 2012, , 150 - 163
- Carey, J. (2009). Corrosive Irony 2009 In: Convergence as part of the State of Design Festival South Yarra, Victoria, Australia
- Carey, J.,Drake, C. (2008). 10 Lines East, West Trajectory 2008 In: Depot Dandenong, Victoria, Australia
Durational and time-based practices, Expanded notions of drawing, Temporal, [im]material and spatial relations, Contemporary art and design, Interior and spatial practice, Trans-disciplinary art and design practices.