James Carey has an inherent curiosity to notions of process, time and duration. His practice is one of mark making, marking time, making time, and time making; foregrounding duration and marking an occurrence. Carey's technique is one of working responsively, allowing particular temporal conditions to surface within specific sites and situations. His marks – whether they be on canvas, a house, a building, or within a gallery – materialise immateriality and allow the residue of particular processes to be assembled as collections of materialised and spatialised time.
- 2 / 3 Year Design Studio Coordinator, Bachelor of Interior Design (Honours), School of Architecture and Urban Design
- PhD by Project (Interior Design), RMIT University 2016
- Bachelor of Design (Honours, Interior Design), RMIT University 2005
- BA (Sociology, Chinese), Monash University, 1999.
- Popps Packing Artist Residency, Hamtramck, USA 2017
- Australia Arts Council grant, New Work, July 2010
- Honourable Mention, student exhibition for Blundell House, Shanghai Biennale 2007
- Carey, J. (2021). to hazelhurst and back [seventeen hours drawing/erasing] In: Drawn to Time UK
- Carey, J. (2021). pond[er] In: NGV Architecture Commission 2021 Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2019). ! ? ! In: Castlemaine State Festival Castlemaine, Australia
- Carey, J. (2019). ¡ MAINTENANCE ! [a proposition for future architectures] In: Oslo Architecture Triennale Oslo, Norway
- Carey, J. (2018). indeterminate duration In: Interiority, 1, 185 - 202
- Carey, J. (2018). Rendering the Immaterial In: International journal of interior architecture and spatial design, , 100 - 106
- Carey, J.,Drake, C. (2017). Blundell House and Drake House In: Terra Firma London, UK
- Carey, J. (2017). Indeterminate Duration In: Indeterminate Duration Hamtramck, Detroit; Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2016). untitled [7 hours] In: Between two homes Melbourne, Australia
- Carey, J. (2016). to wonder / to wander In: Interpretive Wonderings: Mapping Culpra Station Mildura, Australia
Durational and time-based practices, Expanded notions of drawing, Temporal, [im]material and spatial relations, Contemporary art and design, Interior and spatial practice, Trans-disciplinary art and design practices.
1 PhD Current Supervisions