- Aquatic Chemistry:
- in-situ measurement, sampling and analysis of aquatic systems;
- the underlying colloidal and surface chemistry of natural and polluted aquatic systems;
- modelling of sorption and solution phase equilibria in aquatic systems;
- limnology of freshwater systems.
- Development of analytical methodology suitable for environmental applications; specifically in chromatography (IC, GC, HPLC), capillary electrophoresis and atomic spectroscopy.
- ENVI 1146 The Changing Environment, lecturer in Earth’s internal and surface processes.
- ENVI 1008 The Natural Environment, lecturer in the hydrosphere. Course Co-coordinator.
- ENVI1145 Environmental Analysis, lecturer in water sampling and analysis. Course Coordinator.
- CHEM 1085 Environmental Chemistry 3A, lecturer in aquatic chemistry. Course Coordinator.
- CHEM 1054 Instrumental and Environmental Analysis, lecturer in sample preparation, potentiometry & ion chromatography.
- ENVI 1012 The Degraded Environment B, lecturer in the degraded hydrosphere.
- Ph.D. in Estuarine Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 1986.
- B. App. Sc. with Distinction, Caulfield Institute of Technology (Victoria Institute of Colleges), Victoria, Australia, 1977. Majored in chemistry and physics.
- RMIT University Senior Lecturer in analytical and aquatic chemistry and environmental sciences (1993- present).
- Program Leader: B.App.Sc. Environmental Science (1996 - 1999).
- Program Coordinator: B.App.Sc. Environmental Science Honours (2000 - 2003).
- RMIT University Lecturer in analytical chemistry (1990 – 1993).
- University of Tasmania Lecturer in analytical chemistry (1986-90).
- University of Otago, Research Fellow in marine chemistry (1985-6).
- University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji, Research Fellow (4 months 1984-5).
- University of Melbourne postgraduate student (1980-84).
- University of Melbourne Honours year (1979). Awarded Grimwade Prize in Industrial Chemistry.
- Nicholas International Limited, Research Laboratories, Burnham Beeches, Sherbrooke, Victoria, analytical chemist (1978).
- Peterson Chemical Company (MRRA) Pty. Ltd. Production & development chemist - pathology reagents (1977).
Professional and community involvement
- Member of Member of: Royal Australian Chemical Institute (1975 - present); Australian Society for Limnology (1976 - present); Australian Marine Sciences Association (1979 - present); International Humic Substances Society (1995 - 1999); Environment Institute of Australia Inc. (1998 - present).
- Tasmanian Branch Committee of the RACI 1086-1989.
- Treasurer of the Analytical Chemistry Division of the RACI (1997 – 2003).
- Chemical Laboratory Assessor for the National Association of Testing Authorities (1991 - present).
- Refereed for scientific journals, including Marine and Freshwater Research, Estuarine & Coastal Shelf Science, Marine Chemistry, Journal of Chromatography A, Lakes & Reservoirs and the Australian Research Council.
- Gracioso Martins, A.,Glass, N.,Harrison, S.,Rezk, A.,Porter, N.,Carpenter, P.,Du Plessis, J.,Friend, J.,Yeo, L. (2014). Toward complete miniaturisation of flow injection analysis systems: microfluidic enhancement of chemiluminescent detection In: Analytical Chemistry , 86, 10812 - 10819
- Beale, D.,Kaserzon, S.,Porter, N.,Roddick, F.,Carpenter, P. (2010). Detection of s-Triazine pesticides in natural waters by modified large-volume direct injection HPLC In: Talanta, 82, 668 - 674
- Ibrahim, T.,Meehan, B.,Carpenter, P. (2007). TDS in sewage: Sources and trends in Melbourne's west In: Water, 34, 44 - 47
- TDS reduction through adjustment of discharge pH limits. Funded by: City West Water Grant pre-2014 from (2004 to 2008)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
1 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions
Soil, air or water monitoring.