Nicky’s research interests are focused in the following broad areas:
- Investigating what acts on teachers’ use of digital technologies, with a particular focus on newly graduated teachers
- The use of online environments to foster student as well as teacher learning, with a particular focus on how online spaces can foster the development of intercultural competence amongst pre-service teachers. Associated with this is the developing notion of what online pedagogies look like.
- The role of site-based course delivery in pre-service teacher education
- Next generation learning spaces and their impact on pedagogy and learning.
In 2007 Nicky received a Learning and Teaching Innovation Fund grant of just over $20,000 to develop a collection of online learning objects and associated information architecture to deliver problem-based learning scenarios to students. Associated with this grant was the research impact of this online environment on student engagement and learning.
In 2013 Nicky was awarded a $40,000 Seed Grant from the Office of Learning and Teaching, for eTutor: Building pre-service teachers’ intercultural understandings and technological capabilities through online cross-cultural school and university partnerships.
Nicky, a lecturer in teacher education, has a special focus on how digital technologies are integrated into classroom learning and teaching, both at a school level and within the higher education sector. Nicky integrates digital technologies in her own teaching and, where possible, works with local schools to add site-based elements to her courses.
Of particular importance in this work is the need to ensure that the integration of digital technologies is connected to and supports sound pedagogy grounded in current educational theory.
A major focus for Nicky is the eTutor project, aimed at using innovative online environment that brings together pre-service teachers and students from schools in a number of Asian countries to foster the development of pre-service teachers’ intercultural competence and Asian literacy.
PhD., M. Ed., Grad. Cert. Tertiary Teaching & Learning, Post Grad. Dip. (Ed Studies), B Comm. (Hons)
Member DLTV Committee of Management.
- Cooper, G.,Carr, N. (2019). Primary Pre-Service Teachers' Perceptions of STEM Education:Conceptualisations and Psychosocial Factors In: STEM Education An Emerging Field of Inquiry, Koninklijke Brill NV, Netherlands
- Barkatsas, A.,Carr, N.,Cooper, G. (2018). Stem Education: An Emerging Field of Inquiry In: Stem Education: An Emerging Field of Inquiry, Koninklijke Brill NV, Leiden, Netherlands
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K.,Carr, N. (2016). Innovating in First Year Pre-service Teacher Education: "Buddy Up" In: Teacher Education: Innovation, Intervention and Impact, Springer, Singapore
- Carr, N. (2016). Pre-service teachers teaching about and across cultures using digital environments: The case of eTutor In: Educational Media International, 53, 103 - 117
- Latham, G.,Carr, N. (2015). Building on authentic learning for pre-service teachers in a technology-rich environment In: Journal of Learning Design, 8, 65 - 77
- Carr, N.,Fraser, K. (2014). Factors that shape pedagogical practices in next generation learning spaces In: The Future of Learning and Teaching in Next Generation Learning Spaces (International Perspectives on Higher Education Research Volume 12), Emerald Group Publishing, United Kingdom
- Carr, N.,Johnson, R. (2014). Redefining the development of pre-service teachers' intercultural competence through an online teaching environment In: Proceedings of the 2014 Now IT's personal: Innovating Education, Australian Computers in Education Conference, Adelaide, Australia, 30 September- 3 October 2014
- Carr, N.,Johnson, R. (2014). Engaging Gen Y pre-service teachers in online spaces to improve their digital and intercultural competence In: Proceedings of the Australian Teacher Educators Annual Conference 2014, Sydney, Australia, 6-9 July 2014
- Carr, N.,Johnson, R. (2014). eTutor: Building pre-service teachers' intercultural competence through an online environment In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2014, Tampere, Finland, 23 June 2014
- Latham, G.,Carr, N. (2012). Authentic learning for pre-service teachers in a technology-rich environment In: Journal of Learning Design, 5, 32 - 42
- eTutor: Building preservice teachers' intercultural understandings and technological capabilities through online cross-cultural school-university partnerships. Funded by: Office for Learning and Teaching Grant Pre-2014 from (2013 to 2014)
2 PhD Current Supervisions6 Masters by Research Completions