- Space Weather and its Effects on GNSS
- High latitude and Equatorial Ionosphere
- E-region and F-region Plasma Waves and GPS Scintillation
- Ionospheric Variability
- GNSS Radio Occultation Technique
- HF Radar and Radio Propagation
- Ionospheric Backscatter
Slected media experience
- Carter, Brett and Halford, Alexa: Damaging electric currents in space affect Earth’s equatorial region, not just the poles, The Conversation, August 17, 2015 (also pubilshed by time.com).
- Carter, Brett: Predicting daily space weather will help keep your GPS on target, The Conversation, December 4, 2014.
- Carter, Brett and Retterer, John: Bad space weather may have caused fatal Afghan gun battle, The Conversation, September 24, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Solar storms and their effects on us, with Chris Adams live on 4BC Brisbane radio, 27 July, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Are you a frequent flyer? Solar storm radiation can be harmful, The Conversation, 14 July, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Solar eruption could help Earth prepare for technology melt-down, The Conversation, 16 October, 2013.
- “The Most Accurate and Stable Thermometer in Space - FORMOSAT-3 7 Years Mission Achievements” - Participated in this press conference that was held at the National Space Organization (NSPO) by the National Applied Research Laboratories (NARL) and NSPO on 16 May, 2013.
- Carter, Brett: Divert power to shields - the solar maximum is coming, The Conversation, 11 December, 2012.
- BSc (Hons), Department of Physics, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2007
- PhD, Department of Physics, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2011
- Hu, A.,Li, Z.,Carter, B.,Wu, S.,Wang, X.,Norman, R.,Zhang, K. (2019). In Press - Helmert-VCE-aided fast-WTLS approach for global ionospheric VTEC modelling using data from GNSS, satellite altimetry and radio occultation In: Journal of Geodesy, , 1 - 10
- Hu, A.,Carter, B.,Currie, J.,Norman, R.,Wu, S.,Wang, X.,Zhang, K. (2019). Modeling of Topside Ionospheric Vertical Scale Height Based on Ionospheric Radio Occultation Measurements In: Journal of Geophysical Research, , 1 - 12
- Carter, B.,Ram, S.,Yizengaw, E.,Pradipta, R.,Retterer, J.,Norman, R.,Currie, J.,Groves, K.,Caton, R.,Terkildsen, M.,Yokoyama, T.,Zhang, K. (2018). Unseasonal development of post-sunset F-region irregularities over Southeast Asia on 28 July 2014: 1. Forcing from above? In: Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 5, 1 - 12
- Kodikara, N.,Carter, B.,Zhang, K. (2018). The first comparison between Swarm-C accelerometer-derived thermospheric densities and physical and empirical model estimates In: Journal of Geophysical Research Space Physics, 123, 5068 - 5086
- Oliveira, D.,Arel, D.,Raeder, J.,Zesta, E.,Ngwira, C.,Carter, B.,Yizengaw, E.,Halford, A.,Tsurutani, B.,Gjerloev, J. (2018). Geomagnetically induced currents caused by interplanetary shocks with different impact angles and speeds In: Space Weather, 16, 636 - 647
- Le May, S.,Gehly, S.,Carter, B.,Flegel, S. (2018). Space debris collision probability analysis for proposed global broadband constellations In: Acta Astonautica, 151, 445 - 455
- He, C.,Yang, Y.,Carter, B.,Kerr, E.,Wu, S.,Deleflie, F.,Cai, H.,Zhang, K.,Sagnieres, L.,Norman, R. (2018). Review and comparison of empirical thermospheric mass density models In: Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 103, 31 - 51
- Norman, R.,Carter, B.,Healy, S.,Culverwell, I.,Von Engeln, A.,Le Marshall, J.,Younger, J.,Cate, A.,Zhang, K. (2018). Ionospheric Regions Producing Anomalous GNSS Radio Occultation Results In: IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 56, 7350 - 7358
- Kodikara, N.,Carter, B.,Norman, R.,Zhang, K. (2018). Density-Temperature Synchrony in the Hydrostatic Thermosphere In: Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 124, 1 - 26
- Ajith, K.,Ram, S.,Carter, B.,Sathish Kumar, S.,Yamamoto, M.,Yokoyama, T.,Gurubaran, S.,Sripathi, S.,Hozumi, K.,Groves, K.,Caton, R. (2018). Unseasonal development of post-sunset F-region irregularities over Southeast Asia on 28 July 2014: 2. Forcing from below? In: Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 5, 1 - 15
- Towards a new Australian GNSS RO atmospheric retrieval system. Funded by: CRC for Space Environment Management - Scholarship from (2018 to 2021)
- Monitoring of the Atmosphere over the Australian and Antarctic regions using GNSS radio occultation.. Funded by: 021-Australian Antarctic Science Program Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2020)
- Next generation space weather forecasts. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2020)
- Innovative Solutions to Enhance Space Situational Awareness. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2014 to 2016)
- The equatorial ionosphere and its effects on radio applications. Funded by: DBI Victorian Postdoctoral Research Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2017)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
2 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions
Space Weather and its Effects on GNSS, High latitude and Equatorial Ionosphere, E-region and F-region Plasma Waves and GPS Scintillation, Ionospheric Variability, GNSS Radio Occultation Technique, HF Radar and Radio Propagation