- Space Weather and its Effects on GNSS
- High latitude and Equatorial Ionosphere
- E-region and F-region Plasma Waves and GPS Scintillation
- Ionospheric Variability
- GNSS Radio Occultation Technique
- HF Radar and Radio Propagation
- Ionospheric Backscatter
Slected media experience
- Carter, Brett and Halford, Alexa: Damaging electric currents in space affect Earth’s equatorial region, not just the poles, The Conversation, August 17, 2015 (also pubilshed by time.com).
- Carter, Brett: Predicting daily space weather will help keep your GPS on target, The Conversation, December 4, 2014.
- Carter, Brett and Retterer, John: Bad space weather may have caused fatal Afghan gun battle, The Conversation, September 24, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Solar storms and their effects on us, with Chris Adams live on 4BC Brisbane radio, 27 July, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Are you a frequent flyer? Solar storm radiation can be harmful, The Conversation, 14 July, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Solar eruption could help Earth prepare for technology melt-down, The Conversation, 16 October, 2013.
- “The Most Accurate and Stable Thermometer in Space - FORMOSAT-3 7 Years Mission Achievements” - Participated in this press conference that was held at the National Space Organization (NSPO) by the National Applied Research Laboratories (NARL) and NSPO on 16 May, 2013.
- Carter, Brett: Divert power to shields - the solar maximum is coming, The Conversation, 11 December, 2012.
- BSc (Hons), Department of Physics, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2007
- PhD, Department of Physics, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2011
- Carter, B.,Ram, S.,Yizengaw, E.,Pradipta, R.,Retterer, J.,Norman, R.,Currie, J.,Groves, K.,Caton, R.,Terkildsen, M.,Yokoyama, T.,Zhang, K. (2018). Unseasonal development of post-sunset F-region irregularities over Southeast Asia on 28 July 2014: 1. Forcing from above? In: Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 5, 1 - 12
- Kodikara, N.,Carter, B.,Zhang, K. (2018). (In Press) The first comparison between Swarm-C accelerometer-derived thermospheric densities and physical and empirical model estimates In: Journal of Geophysical Research Space Physics, 123, 1 - 59
- Oliveira, D.,Arel, D.,Raeder, J.,Zesta, E.,Ngwira, C.,Carter, B.,Yizengaw, E.,Halford, A.,Tsurutani, B.,Gjerloev, J. (2018). Geomagnetically induced currents caused by interplanetary shocks with different impact angles and speeds In: Space Weather, 16, 636 - 647
- Le May, S.,Gehly, S.,Carter, B.,Flegel, S. (2018). Space debris collision probability analysis for proposed global broadband constellations In: Acta Astonautica, 151, 445 - 455
- Yizengaw, E.,Carter, B. (2017). Imaging the global vertical density structure from the ground and space In: Ionospheric Space Weather: Longitude and Hemispheric Dependences and Lower Atmosphere Forcing, John Wiley and Sons, United States
- Yizengaw, E.,Carter, B. (2017). Longitudinal, seasonal and solar cycle variation in lunar tide influence on the equatorial electrojet In: Annales Geophysicae, 35, 525 - 533
- Seif, A.,Liu, J.,Mannucci, A.,Carter, B.,Norman, R.,Caton, R.,Tsunoda, R. (2017). A study of daytime L-band scintillation in association with sporadic E along the magnetic dip equator In: Radio Science, 52, 1570 - 1577
- Carter, B.,Yizengaw, E.,Pradipta, R.,Retterer, J.,Groves, K.,Valladares, C.,Caton, R.,Bridgwood, C.,Norman, R.,Zhang, K. (2016). Global equatorial plasma bubble occurrence during the 2015 St. Patrick's Day storm In: Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 121, 894 - 905
- Pradipta, R.,Valladares, C.,Carter, B.,Doherty, P. (2016). Interhemispheric propagation and interactions of auroral traveling ionospheric disturbances near the equator In: Journal of Geophysical Research A: Space Physics, 121, 2462 - 2474
- Carter, B.,Yizengaw, E.,Pradipta, R.,Weygand, J.,Piersanti, M.,Pulkkinen, A.,Moldwin, M.,Norman, R.,Zhang, K. (2016). Geomagnetically induced currents around the world during the 17 March 2015 storm In: Journal of Geophysical Research Space Physics, 121, 10496 - 10507
- Towards a new Australian GNSS RO atmospheric retrieval system. Funded by: CRC for Space Environment Management - Scholarship from (2018 to 2021)
- Monitoring of the Atmosphere over the Australian and Antarctic regions using GNSS radio occultation.. Funded by: 021-Australian Antarctic Science Program Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2020)
- Next generation space weather forecasts. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2019)
- Innovative Solutions to Enhance Space Situational Awareness. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2013 from (2013 to 2016)
- The equatorial ionosphere and its effects on radio applications. Funded by: DBI Victorian Postdoctoral Research Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2017)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
3 PhD Current Supervisions
Space Weather and its Effects on GNSS, High latitude and Equatorial Ionosphere, E-region and F-region Plasma Waves and GPS Scintillation, Ionospheric Variability, GNSS Radio Occultation Technique, HF Radar and Radio Propagation