- Space Weather and its Effects on GNSS
- High latitude and Equatorial Ionosphere
- E-region and F-region Plasma Waves and GPS Scintillation
- Ionospheric Variability
- GNSS Radio Occultation Technique
- HF Radar and Radio Propagation
- Ionospheric Backscatter
Slected media experience
- Carter, Brett and Halford, Alexa: Damaging electric currents in space affect Earth’s equatorial region, not just the poles, The Conversation, August 17, 2015 (also pubilshed by time.com).
- Carter, Brett: Predicting daily space weather will help keep your GPS on target, The Conversation, December 4, 2014.
- Carter, Brett and Retterer, John: Bad space weather may have caused fatal Afghan gun battle, The Conversation, September 24, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Solar storms and their effects on us, with Chris Adams live on 4BC Brisbane radio, 27 July, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Are you a frequent flyer? Solar storm radiation can be harmful, The Conversation, 14 July, 2014.
- Carter, Brett: Solar eruption could help Earth prepare for technology melt-down, The Conversation, 16 October, 2013.
- “The Most Accurate and Stable Thermometer in Space - FORMOSAT-3 7 Years Mission Achievements” - Participated in this press conference that was held at the National Space Organization (NSPO) by the National Applied Research Laboratories (NARL) and NSPO on 16 May, 2013.
- Carter, Brett: Divert power to shields - the solar maximum is coming, The Conversation, 11 December, 2012.
- BSc (Hons), Department of Physics, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2007
- PhD, Department of Physics, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 2011
- Currie, J.,Carter, B.,Retterer, J.,Dao,T., et al, . (2021). On the Generation of an Unseasonal EPB Over South East Asia In: Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 126, 1 - 16
- Hu, A.,Carter, B.,Currie, J.,Norman, R.,Wu, S.,Zhang, K. (2020). A Deep Neural Network Model of Global Topside Electron Temperature Modeling Using Incoherent Scatter Radars and Its Application to GPS Radio Occultation In: Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Physics, 1, 1 - 17
- Le May, S.,Carter, B.,Gehly, S.,Flegel, S.,Jah, M. (2020). Representing and querying space object registration data using graph databases In: Acta Astronautica, 173, 392 - 403
- Carter, B.,Currie, J.,Dao, T.,Yizengaw, E.,Retterer, J.,Terkildsen, M.,Groves, K.,Caton, R. (2020). On the Assessment of Daily Equatorial Plasma Bubble Occurrence Modeling and Forecasting In: Space Weather, 18, 1 - 23
- Hu, A.,Li, Z.,Carter, B.,Wu, S.,Wang, X.,Norman, R.,Zhang, K. (2019). Helmert-VCE-aided fast-WTLS approach for global ionospheric VTEC modelling using data from GNSS, satellite altimetry and radio occultation In: Journal of Geodesy, 93, 877 - 888
- Hu, A.,Carter, B.,Currie, J.,Norman, R.,Wu, S.,Wang, X.,Zhang, K. (2019). Modeling of Topside Ionospheric Vertical Scale Height Based on Ionospheric Radio Occultation Measurements In: Journal of Geophysical Research, 124, 4926 - 4942
- Piersanti, M.,Matteo, S.,Carter, B.,Currie, J.,D'Angelo, G. (2019). Geoelectric Field Evaluation During the September 2017 Geomagnetic Storm: MA.I.GIC. Model In: Space Weather, 17, 1241 - 1256
- He, C.,Yang, Y.,Carter, B.,Zhang, K.,Hu, A.,Li, W.,Deleflie, F.,Norman, R.,Wu, S. (2019). Impact of thermospheric mass density on the orbit prediction of LEO satellites In: Space Weather, 18, 1 - 17
- Halford, A.,Kellerman, A.,Garcia-Sage, K.,Klenzing, J.,Carter, B., et al, . (2019). Application usability levels: A framework for tracking project product progress In: Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate, 9, 1 - 27
- Ajith, K.,Ram, S.,Carter, B.,Sathish Kumar, S.,Yamamoto, M.,Yokoyama, T.,Gurubaran, S.,Sripathi, S.,Hozumi, K.,Groves, K.,Caton, R. (2018). Unseasonal development of post-sunset F-region irregularities over Southeast Asia on 28 July 2014: 2. Forcing from below? In: Progress in Earth and Planetary Science, 5, 1 - 15
- A machine learning based solution for space situational awareness and space sustainability:�RP2: Advanced Satellite Systems, Sensors and Intelligence Z (PhD Candidate: Sai Krishna Reddy Vallapureddy). Funded by: SmartSat CRC - Scholarship from (2021 to 2024)
- Towards a new Australian GNSS RO atmospheric retrieval system (PhD candidate:�Andong Hu). Funded by: CRC for Space Environment Management - Scholarship from (2018 to 2021)
- Monitoring of the Atmosphere over the Australian and Antarctic regions using GNSS radio occultation.. Funded by: 021-Australian Antarctic Science Program Grant 2017 from (2017 to 2020)
- NLP as a sensor of soft (human based) inputs to support SSA and Space Traffic management activities (Candidate: Samantha Le May). Funded by: CRC for Space Environment Management from (2017 to 2020)
- Next generation space weather forecasts. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2020)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
3 PhD Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
Space Weather and its Effects on GNSS, High latitude and Equatorial Ionosphere, E-region and F-region Plasma Waves and GPS Scintillation, Ionospheric Variability, GNSS Radio Occultation Technique, HF Radar and Radio Propagation