Dr France Cheong has been actively involved in researching and teaching machine learning, modelling and simulation techniques, their applications to business decision-making and systems implementation for over 20 years.
Techniques used include: discrete event simulation, business process modelling, system dynamics, agent based modelling, fuzzy logic, genetic algorithms, swarm intelligence, artificial immune systems, social network analysis, to name a few. A number of these techniques are frequently used within a participatory framework designed to involve stakeholders in the modelling process.
These techniques have been applied to diverse areas such as: engineering (process control and computer networks), finance (credit scoring), information systems (strategic information systems planning, collaborative networks), business process modelling (Emergency Department patient flow modelling), humanities (childhood poverty in Vietnam), logistics (catfish supply chain in Vietnam, reverse logistics), risk management (catfish in Vietnam), and higher education (student retention in Taiwan, social networks in e-learning environments, gamification, persuasive systems, learning analytics).
The results of his research have been published in over 85 refereed publications (7 book chapters, 25 journal papers and 55 conference papers) and have been cited more than 550 times in the research literature.
His current focus is the integration of these techniques for implementing predictive analytics and persuasive systems. More details about his current research interests can be found in sections on “Supervisor interests” and “Supervision projects”.
Membership of editorial boards
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Applied Decision Sciences (IJADS)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Strategic Decision Sciences (IJSDS)
- Editor, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing (IJAISC)
- Editor, Journal of Information Technology Education (JITE)
Conference program committee member
- International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC'15) and International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD'15), Zhangjiajie, China, 15-17 August 2015.
- International Conference on Fuzzy Computation Theory and Applications (FCTA2014), Rome, Italy, 22-24 October 2014.
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS2014), Auckland, New Zealand, 14-17 December 2014.
- International Conference on Fuzzy Computation Theory and Applications (FCTA2013), Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal, 20-22 September 2013.
- Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2013), Jeju Island, Korea, 18-22 June 2013.
- The 6th IEEE International Workshop on Genetic and Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems (GEFS2013), Singapore, 16-19 April 2013.
- International Conference on Fuzzy Computation Theory and Applications (FCTA2012), Barcelona, Spain, 5-7 October 2012.
- 2012 International Conference on Information Management and Evaluation (ICIME 2012), Ankara, Turkey, 16-17 April 2012.
- 2011 International Congress on Modelling and Simulation (MODSIM 2011), Perth, Australia, 12-16 December 2011.
- International Conference on Fuzzy Computation Theory and Applications (FCTA2011), Paris, France, 24-26 October 2011.
- 7th International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC11), Shanghai, China, July 26-28, 2011.
- 2011 International Conference on Information Management and Evaluation (ICIME 2011), Toronto, Canada, 27-28 April 2011.
- IEEE SSCI'2011: Genetic and Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems Workshop (GEFS2011), Paris, France, 11-15 April 2011.
- The 4th International Workshop on Genetic and Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems (GEFS 2010), Mieres, Asturias, Spain, March 2010.
- 2010 International Conference on Information Management and Evaluation (ICIME 2010), Cape Town, South Africa, 25-26 March 2010.
- International Conference on Fuzzy Computation (ICFC2009), Madeira, Portugal, 5-7 October 2009.
- First Virtual Conference on Business and Management (VCOBAM). Virtual conference organized by U21 Global from 22 to 23 September 2009 at www.u21global.edu.sg/vcobam
- 2009 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2008), Norway, 18-21 May 2009.
- The 6th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD09), Tianjin, China, 14-16 August 2009.
- 2008 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2008), Hong Kong, 1-6 June 2008.
- The 3rd International Workshop on Genetic and Evolving Fuzzy Systems (GEFS2008), Witten-Bommerholz, Germany, 4-7 March 2008.
- 2007 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2007), Singapore, 25-28 September 2007.
- The 2nd International Symposium on Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems (EFS2006), Ambelside, Lake District, UK, 9-10 September 2006.
- IASTED International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Applications, appointed to the technical committee for the term 2003-2006.
- First International Workshop on Genetic Fuzzy Systems (GFS2005), Granada, Spain, 17-19 March 2005.
- Information Resources Management Association (IRMA) International Conference, San Diego, California, USA, 15-18 May 2005.
- Information Resources Management Association (IRMA) International Conference, Philadelphia PA, USA, 18-21 May 2003.
- Master of Education (Teaching) (RMIT University)
- PhD in Computer Systems Engineering from La Trobe University (LTU). Thesis: Designing optimized fuzzy logic controllers for transporting MPEG streams over ATM networks
- Master of Computer Science (LTU). Thesis: Extending EASE with new ASN.1 encoding rules
- Master of Computer Science (LTU). Thesis: Extending EASE with new ASN.1 encoding rules
- Post Graduate Diploma in Advanced Computer Science (LTU) (Top student)
- Bachelor in Business (Computing) (RMIT University) (Top student)
- Diploma in Management Studies (University of Mauritius) (Top student)
- Certificate in Computer Science (University of Mauritius) (Top student)
- Diploma in Sugar Technology and Agriculture (University of Mauritius)
(Sugar Technology is a specialization of Chemical Engineering)
- 2001 - 2001 Software Engineer, Country Fire Authority
- 2000 - 2001 Software Engineer, Verve Inc.
- 1988 - 1991 Management Information Systems Consultant, Deep River Beau Champ Ltd (Mauritius)
- 1982 - 1988 Chief Chemist (Industrial Chemist), Deep River Beau Champ Ltd (Mauritius)
- 1974 - 1982 Assistant Chemist (Industrial Chemist), Deep River Beau Champ Ltd (Mauritius)
- Maurer, M.,Cheong, C.,Cheong, F.,Gutl, C. (2021). C2ELT2S- A Competitive, Cooperative and Experiential Learning-Based Teamwork Training Strategy Game: Design and Proof of Concept In: Cross Reality and Data Science in Engineering, Springer, Switzerland
- Cheong, C.,Filippou, J.,Cheong, F.,Vesty, G.,Arity, V. (2021). Australian Higher Education Student Perspectives on Emergancy Remote Teaching During the COVID-19 Pandemic In: COVID-19 and Education: Learning and Teaching in a Pandemic-Constrained Environment, Informing Science Press, Santa Rosa, United States
- Sackl, M.,Steinmaurer, A.,Cheong, C.,Cheong, F.,Filippou, J.,Gütl, C. (2021). SCool: Impact On Human-Computer Interface Improvements On Learner Experience In A Game-Based Learning Platform In: Educating Engineers for Future Industrial Revolutions, Springer, Switzerland
- Munguia, P.,Cheong, C.,Cheong, F.,Gharaie, E. (2020). Exploratory Variations in Course Structure ConsistencyWithin the Learning Management System In: Tertiary Education in a Time of Change, Springer, Singapore
- Bobic, A.,Cheong, C.,Filippou, J.,Cheong, F.,Guetl, C. (2020). Infret: Enhancing a Tool for Explorative Learning of Information Retrieval Concepts In: The Impact of the 4th Industrial Revolution on Engineering Education, Springer, Switzerland
- Filippou, J.,Cheong, C.,Cheong, F. (2019). Evaluating Persuasion in a Digital Learning Environment In: Proceedings of the 30th Australasian Conference on Information Systems (ACIS 2019), Fremantle, Perth, Australia, 9-11 December 2019
- Filippou, J.,Cheong, C.,Cheong, F. (2018). A model to investigate preference for use of gamification in a learning activity In: Australasian Journal of Information Systems, 22, 1 - 23
- Chhetri, P.,Kam, B.,Lau, C.,Corbitt, B.,Cheong, F. (2017). Improving service responsiveness and delivery efficiency of retail networks: A case study of Melbourne In: International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, 45, 271 - 291
- Nguyen, C.,Horne, R.,Fien, J.,Cheong, F. (2017). Assessment of social vulnerability to climate change at the local scale: development and application of a Social Vulnerability Index In: Climatic Change, 143, 355 - 370
- Cheong, C.,Filippou, J.,Cheong, F.,Pirker, J.,Gutl, C. (2016). Using persuasive system design principles to evaluate two next generation digital learning environment In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning (ICL 2016), Belfast, United Kingdom, 21-23 September 2016
1 PhD Current Supervisions13 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions