Associate Professor Jaz Hee-jeong Choi is the Director of the Care-full Design Lab, Co-Lead of the Designing Social Innovation (DSI) Group, and Vice-Chancellor’s Principal Research Fellow, who leads RMIT in the EU Horizon 2020 project, CreaTures: Creative Practices for Transformational Futures (2020 - 2022).
In her transdisciplinary research and practice, Jaz recognises ‘care’ as the core of transformational encounters in different places – ranging from cities as complex cyberphysical networks to forests as a moving creature. She builds on this to explore, often through creative-critical engagements, how design in varying forms and scale can be done care-fully. Her work is often playful, multisensory, and participatory, and starts from the margins to understand, imagine, and co-create just liveable futures.
Currently, she is exploring care-full design across three inter-related domains: self-care and mutual aid in different cultural and more-than-human contexts; creative methods for research and engagement, and; co-creative transformation.
Previously, she founded FoodCHI (Food-Computer-Human-Interaction) as a SIGCHI Network and a field of research and served as the Director of QUT Urban Informatics Research Lab. She has collaborated with leading international researchers and practitioners across disciplines, and given keynote presentations at major international conferences, including the 2010 UNESCO Creative Cities and 2013 Global Social Economy Forum.
2 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions
- Choi, J.,Braybrooke, K.,Forlano, L. (2023). Care-full co-curation: critical urban placemaking for more-than-human futures In: City, 27, 15 - 38
- Akama, Y.,Anich, J.,Avendano Franco, A.,Choi, J.,Fennessy, L.,Foley, M.,Heiss, L.,Ivanka, T.,Luke, E.,Page, R.,Rosenqvist, T.,Sanin, J.,Tan, L. (2022). Why are we here? A reflexive story of decolonising In: PDC '22: Proceedings of the Participatory Design Conference 2022, Newcastle, UK, 19th August - 1st September 2022
- Choi, H.,Geck, K.,Tiquia, A.,Mccarthy, S.,Walpole, H. (2021). More-than-Human Derive In: Melbourne Knowledge Week and Uroboros Festival Melbourne, Australia and Online
- Guaralda, M.,Choi, H. (2021). Gentrification’s impact on street life In: Routledge Handbook of Street Culture, Routledge, United Kingdom
- Chan, K.,Choi, H.,Harris, D. (2021). Urban Pedagogies of Resistance in Apocalyptic Hong Kong In: Journal of Public Pedagogies, 6, 103 - 122
- Dolejšová, M.,Ampatzidou, C.,Choi, H.,Wilde, D., et al, . (2021). Designing for Transformative Futures: Creative Practice, Social Change and Climate Emergency In: Proceedings of the 13th Creativity and Cognition Conference (C&C 2021), Venice, Italy, 22-23 June 2021
- Mayer, J.,Choi, H. (2020). Exploring the Potential of Digital Food Waste Prevention in the Restaurant Industry In: Routledge Handbook of Food Waste, Routledge, London, United Kingdom
- Leong, J.,Hjorth, L.,Choi, H. (2020). Inventive Approaches to Data Tracking in More-Than-Human Worlds In: The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media Art, Routledge, New York, United States
- Choi, J.,Forlano, L.,Kera, D. (2020). Situated Automation: Algorithmic Creatures in Participatory Design In: Proceedings of the 16th Participatory Design Conference (PDC 2020), Manizales, Colombia, 15-19 June 2020
- Wood, G.,Back, J.,Choi, J.,Dylan, T.,Louw, M. (2019). Designing for outdoor play In: Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - Proceedings, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom, 4 - 9 May 2019
- Information, Linkages and Capacity Building - Social and Community Participation 2020-21 (Melodic Motions). Funded by: Department of Social Services grants 2014 onwards from (2021 to 2024)
- Polyphonic Motions. Funded by: Australia Council for the Arts Re-imagine: Sector Recovery Initiatives from (2021 to 2022)
- More-than-Human Derive @ Melbourne Knowledge Week 2021. Funded by: City of Melbourne - Contract from (2021 to 2021)
- Creative Practices for Transformational Futures (CreaTures) (Administered by Aalto University, Finland). Funded by: Horizon Europe 2021 onwards Research and Innovation Actions from (2020 to 2022)