Associate Professor Jaz Hee-jeong Choi is the Director of the Care-full Design Lab and Vice-Chancellor’s Principal Research Fellow, who leads RMIT in the EU Horizon 2020 project, CreaTures: Creative Practices for Transformational Futures (2020 - 2022).
As a transdisciplinary researcher, her approach to urban sustainability recognises ‘play’ and ‘care’ as the core of transformational encounters in cities as complex cyberphysical networks. She builds on this to explore, often through playful and participatory engagements, how design in varying forms and scale can be done care-fully in different cultural contexts.
Currently, she is exploring care-full design for liveable and equitable urban futures across three inter-related domains: self-care and mutual aid; creative and impactful research methods, and; co-creative urban transformation.
Previously, she founded FoodCHI as a SIGCHI Network and a field of research and served as the Director of QUT Urban Informatics Research Lab. She has collaborated with leading international researchers and practitioners across disciplines, and given keynote presentations at major international conferences, including the 2010 UNESCO Creative Cities and 2013 Global Social Economy Forum.
1 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions
- Mayer, J.,Choi, H. (2020). Exploring the Potential of Digital Food Waste Prevention in the Restaurant Industry In: Routledge Handbook of Food Waste, Routledge, London, United Kingdom
- Leong, J.,Hjorth, L.,Choi, H. (2020). Inventive Approaches to Data Tracking in More-Than-Human Worlds In: The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media Art, Routledge, New York, United States
- Choi, J.,Payne, A.,Hart, P.,Brown, A. (2019). Creative Risk-Taking: Developing Strategies for First Year University Students in the Creative Industries In: International Journal of Art and Design Education, 38, 73 - 89
- Brown, A.,Choi, J.,Shakespeare-Finch, J. (2019). Care towards posttraumatic growth in the era of digital economy In: CoDesign, 15, 212 - 227
- Geck, K.,Nguyen, A.,Choi, J.,Tran-Nam, A.,Jenatsch, D. (2019). Musical Motions In: RMIT and City of Melbourne 'Design for the Sensory City’ Prize Melbourne, Australia
- Parra-Agudelo, L.,Choi, J.,Foth, M.,Estrada, C. (2018). Creativity and design to articulate difference in the conflicted city: collective intelligence in Bogota’s grassroots organisations In: AI and Society, 33, 147 - 158
- BROWN, A.,Choi, H. (2018). Refugee and Post-Trauma Journeys in the Fuzzy Front End of Co-Creative Practices In: Proceedings of the 15th Participatory Design Conference (PDC 2018), Hasselt and Genk, Belgium , 20-24 August 2018
- Parra-Agudelo, L.,Choi, J.,Foth, M. (2017). The City as Canvas for Change: Grassroots Organisations' Creative Playing with Bogota In: Playable Cities, Springer, Singapore
- Winter-Simat, N.,Wright, N.,Choi, H. (2017). Creating 21st Century Global Citizens. A design-led systems approach to transformative secondary education for sustainability In: The Design Journal, 20, 1651 - 1661
- Brown, A.,Choi, H. (2017). Towards Care-based Design: Trusted Others in Nurturing Posttraumatic Growth outside of Therapy In: C&T '17 Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Communities and Technologies, Troyes, France, 26-30 June 2017
- Melodic Motions. Funded by: Department of Social Services grants 2014 onwards from (2021 to 2022)
- Polyphonic Motions. Funded by: Australia Council for the Arts Re-imagine: Sector Recovery Initiatives from (2021 to 2022)
- More-than-Human Derive @ Melbourne Knowledge Week 2021. Funded by: City of Melbourne - Contract from (2021 to 2021)