Dr Jaz Hee-jeong Choi is a Vice-Chancellor’s Senior Research Fellow in the College of Design and Social Context. Previously, she was the Director of the QUT Urban Informatics Research Lab, and founded FoodCHI as a network and a field of research.
She is an advocate for transdisciplinary research, carefully balancing creativity and criticality. Her approach to urban sustainability recognises ‘play’ and 'care' as the core of transformational encounters in cities as complex cyberphysical networks. She builds on this to explore, often through playful and participatory engagements, how design can be done care-fully in different cultural contexts. Her current research explores designing with and for care for liveable and equitable urban futures across three inter-related domains: self-care and mutual aid; creative and impactful research methods, and; co-creative urban transformation.
She has collaborated with leading international researchers, published in books and journals across various disciplines, and given invited talks at major international conferences including the inaugural Global Social Economy Forum in 2013 and the opening keynote at the 2010 UNESCO Creative Cities Conference.
1 PhD Current Supervisions
- Choi, J.,Payne, A.,Hart, P.,Brown, A. (2019). Creative Risk-Taking: Developing Strategies for First Year University Students in the Creative Industries In: International Journal of Art and Design Education, 38, 73 - 89
- Parra-Agudelo, L.,Choi, J.,Foth, M.,Estrada, C. (2018). Creativity and design to articulate difference in the conflicted city: collective intelligence in Bogota�s grassroots organisations In: AI and Society, 33, 147 - 158
- BROWN, A.,Choi, H. (2018). Refugee and Post-Trauma Journeys in the Fuzzy Front End of Co-Creative Practices In: Proceedings of the 15th Participatory Design Conference (PDC 2018), Hasselt and Genk, Belgium , 20-24 August 2018
- Parra-Agudelo, L.,Choi, J.,Foth, M. (2017). The City as Canvas for Change: Grassroots Organisations' Creative Playing with Bogota In: Playable Cities, Springer, Singapore
- Winter-Simat, N.,Wright, N.,Choi, H. (2017). Creating 21st Century Global Citizens. A design-led systems approach to transformative secondary education for sustainability In: The Design Journal, 20, 1651 - 1661
- Brown, A.,Choi, H. (2017). Towards Care-based Design: Trusted Others in Nurturing Posttraumatic Growth outside of Therapy In: C&T '17 Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Communities and Technologies, Troyes, France, 26-30 June 2017
- Lyle, P.,Foth, M.,Choi, J. (2015). Design Patterns for Urban Gardening In: Citizen's Right to the Digital City: Urban Interfaces, Activism, and Placemaking, Springer, Singapore
- Choi, H. (2014). Tactics of Wellbeing: Mobile Media and A New Turn in the Human-Food Relationship In: The Routledge Companion to Mobile Media, Routledge, London, United Kingdom
- Hearn, G.,Collie, N.,Lyle, P.,Choi, H.,Foth, M. (2014). Using communicative ecology theory to scope the emerging role of social media in the evolution of urban food systems In: Futures, 62, 202 - 212
- Farr-Wharton, G.,Foth, M.,Choi, H. (2014). Identifying factors that promote consumer behaviours causing expired domestic food waste In: Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 13, 393 - 402