Joe Christopher, PhD, MCorpAdmin, BA (Hons) Acctg, FCPA, FCMA, FGIA, PMIIA, joined RMIT University as a Senior Lecturer in November 2015.
Previously Dr Christopher was an academic at Curtin University since 2005. Prior to embarking on an academic career, he has had over 26 years of industry experience through various positions in the profession, corporate sector and public university sector.
His teaching interests are in auditing, and governance. His research areas are in corporate governance, risk management, management controls and internal audit specifically within a public sector environment.
He has published many articles on these areas in journals such as Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal; Critical Perspectives on Accounting; Financial Accountability and Management, Studies in Higher Education; Australian Accounting Re view; Journal on Higher Education Policy and Management; and Managerial Auditing Journal.
Externally to the university, he is a member of the Education Committee of the Institute of Internal Auditors, Australia.
- Course Coordinator for Auditing 1
- School WIL Coordinator
- B.A (Hons) In Accounting
- McorpAdmin (Curtin) -Master in Corporate Administration - 2000
- PhD - Doctor of Philosophy, Curtin University - 2010
- FCPA Fellow of the Australian Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- FCIS Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries and Administrators-U.K.
- FGIA Fellow of the Governance Institute of Australia
- FCMA Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants-U.K
- CGMA Chartered Global Management Accountant
- PMIIA Professional Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors, Australia
- Christopher, J. (2015). Internal audit: Does it enhance governance in the Australian public university sector? In: Educational Management Administration and Leadership, 43, 954 - 971
- Christopher, J.,Leung, P. (2015). Tensions arising from imposing NPM in Australian public universities: A management perspective In: Financial Accountability and Management, 31, 171 - 191
- Christopher, J.,Sarens, G. (2015). Risk management: Its adoption in Australian public universities within an environment of change management - A management perspective In: Australian Accounting Review, 25, 2 - 12
- Christopher, J. (2014). Australian public universities: are they practising a corporate approach to governance? In: Studies in Higher Education, 39, 560 - 573
- Christopher, J. (2013). Mapping the changing governance control paradigms of public universities In: Corporate Ownership and Control, 10, 162 - 176
- Sarens, G.,Christopher, J.,Zaman, M. (2013). A study of the informal interactions between audit committees and internal auditors in Australia In: Australian Accounting Review, 23, 307 - 329
- Christopher, J. (2012). Globalization and its influence on the governance paradigm of Australian public universities In: The Global Studies Journal, 4, 109 - 122
- Christopher, J. (2012). Tension between the corporate and collegial cultures of Australian public universities: The current status In: Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 23, 556 - 571
- Christopher, J. (2012). Governance paradigms of public universities: An international comparative study In: Tertiary Education and Management, 18, 335 - 351
- Christopher, J. (2012). The adoption of internal audit as a governance control mechanism in Australian public universities - views from the CEOs In: Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 34, 529 - 541