Kate Church is a lecturer in the Bachelor of Landscape Architectural Design at RMIT University.
Kate's research foregrounds open structures to register and explore the performative materiality of the land. Her approach situates the landscape as a medium in perpetual motion, always in transition and therefore constantly awaiting change. This framing of the landscape engages with Landscape Architecture as an architecture of flows, foregrounding matter in motion and the experience of the moving body.
She is a member of Urban Interior, an interdisciplinary research group, and Performance Lab (Pflab), and is a current PhD candidate within the Performative Creative Practice stream at RMIT.
Her published work appears in Kerb Journal, New American Notes Online, Landscape Architecture Australia, Exposure/00: Design Research in Landscape Architecture (2012) and Urban Interior: Informal Explorations, Interventions and Occupations (2011). Her work has been included in State of Design Festivals and has been exhibited at Guilford Lane Gallery and Field 36 Gallery.
Kate Church is a lecturer in the Bachelor of Landscape Architectural Design and coordinates the program’s Communications stream.
Bachelor of Visual and Performing Arts (Melbourne University/VCA)
Bachelor of Design (Landscape Architecture) (Hons) (RMIT University)
Graduate Certificate, Tertiary Teaching and Learning
- Church, K. (2016). Ground work: from here to there In: Interpretative Wonderings: Mapping Culpra Station Mildura, Australia
- Church, K. (2015). Plotting a restless site In: Performing Mobilities Melbourne, Australia
- Church, K. (2014). Plotting an unfinishable landscape architectural project: by way of beginning In: Cartography and Narratives, , 1 - 10
- Church, K. (2012). Projects for the intermediate city In: Exposure/00: Design Research in Landscape Architecture, Melbourne Books, Melbourne, Australia
- Church, K. (2011). Making visible: registering the asynchronous city In: Urban Interior: Informal Explorations, Interventions and Occupations, Spurbuchverlag, Baunach, Germany
- Church, K.,Weight, J.,Berry, M.,Macdonald, H. (2010). At home with media technology In: Home Cultures, 7, 263 - 286
- Church, K.,Keane, B. (2010). Lines of thought drawing the unknown In: Drawing Out 2010, Melbourne, Australia, 7-9 April 2010
- Keane, B.,Church, K.,Howard, M.,Morgan, N.,Morgan-Payler, J.,Court, T.,Monacella, R.,Douglas, C. (2010). QRioCity In: QRioCity, State of Design Festival Melbourne, Australia
- Church, K.,Kemp, R.,Wagenfeld, M. (2009). Urban [Di]Versions In: State of Design Melbourne
- Church, K. (2009). Through the Looking Glass . . . Mediating the Inevitable and the Impossible In: Kerb, 17, 22 - 29
2 PhD Current Supervisions