Angela Clarke is a Senior Research Fellow at the College of Design and Social Context at RMIT University.
Angela ’s research interests include: creativity education; embodied cognition; alexander technique, multiple intelligences; conceptions and principles of learning and teaching; academic development, peer learning and educational leadership and management.
She currently leads a four piece music ensemble as a singer/songwriter and is researching ways to enhance vocal production through the Alexander Technique in her PhD studies at Monash University.
Scholarship of Learning and Teaching
Angela’s work in academic development focuses on curriculum design in creative disciplines and educational leadership and management through peer partnerships. Recent funded projects include:
Chester , A., Wingrove, D., & Clarke, A. (2013). Peer feedback: Professional development resources for systematic implementation of peer partnerships and peer review. Supported by RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund ($140,000).
Sharp, K., Clarke, A., Johal, T. (2012). Equal Local: Future-proofing RMIT’s global reach by promoting equivalence in onshore and offshore learning. Supported by RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund ($80,000).
Chester , A., Wingrove, D., & Clarke, A. (2012). Professional development: A module for peer partnerships to embed sustainable learning about teaching. Supported by RMIT Learning and Teaching Investment Fund ($75,000).
The International Journal of Art and Design Education
The International Journal of Academic Development
RMIT University 2012 Research and Teaching Award
Angela was the team leader for a School of Art team award for programs that enhance learning. The project focused on educational partnerships and collaboration with other organisations and resulted in a highly successful approach to engaging industry expertise in the design and delivery of work-integrated learning in fine art.
Angela has accumulated almost twenty years experience as an educator and is committed to excellence in tertiary teaching and creative practice. Her background is in drama and theatre education where she has written and directed original plays. Angela has worked extensively in creative arts education and provides academic leadership on research and teaching in creative disciplines.
Master of Education (Teaching)
Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
Kodaly Music Teaching Certificate
- Wingrove, D.,Hammersley-Fletcher, L.,Clarke, A.,Chester, A. (2017). Leading developmental peer observation of teaching in higher education: Perspectives from Australia and England In: British Journal of Educational Studies, , 1 - 17
- Clarke, A.,Sharp, K.,Tai, M. (2017). Technology-enabled curriculum for transnational education in art history and theory In: International Journal of Education and the Arts, 18, 1 - 20
- Clarke, A.,Johal, S.,Sharp, K.,Quinn, S. (2016). Achieving equivalence: a transnational curriculum design framework In: International Journal for Academic Development, 21, 364 - 376
- Clarke, A.,Hulbert, S. (2016). Envisioning the future: Working toward sustainability in fine art education In: International Journal of Art and Design Education, 35, 36 - 50
- Summers, F.,Clarke, A. (2015). In-betweenness: being mother, academic and artist In: Journal of Family Studies, 21, 235 - 247
- Wingrove, D.,Clarke, A.,Chester, A. (2015). Distributing leadership for sustainable peer feedback on tertiary teaching In: Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, 12, 1 - 12
- Chester, A.,Clarke, A.,Wingrove, D.,Denny, B. (2013). Talking about teaching: empowering staff through peer partnerships In: Proceedings of the 10th Enhancement and Innovation in Higher Education conference�, Glasgow, United Kingdom, 11-13 June 2013
- Budge, K.,Clarke, A. (2012). Academic development is a creative act In: International Journal for Academic Development, 17, 59 - 70
- Clarke, A.,Cripps, P. (2012). Fostering creativity: a multiple intelligences approach to designing learning in undergraduate fine art In: International Journal of Art & Design Education, 31, 113 - 126
- Clarke, A.,Summers, F. (2012). The space of memory: promoting transformative learning in undergraduate art education In: Proceedings of the ACUADS 2012 Conference, Perth, Australia, 3-5 October 2012