Dr Michael Crowhurst teaches and co-ordinates a number of courses in the Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary).
Research and scholarship
Michael's research interests focus mainly on issues relating to the achievement of social justice and the place that Education might play in this. Michael has a long standing interest in the school experiences of young people who do not identify as 'straight' and has written and worked in this area for many years.
Michael's latest publication entitled: 'More Conversations with Queer Young People: To be read aloud' – has been published through 'Common Ground' and is available as a free download through RMIT’s digital repository.
Michael was awarded an RMIT Early Career Researcher Grant in 2007 that funded the production of the ‘More Conversations’ publication.
Michael Crowhurst, Emma Donaldson, Trevor Skerry and Jude Ocean are in the early stages of a research project focusing on Autistic Spectrum Disorder and independent living and on being the parent of a young adult living with ASD.
Michael is also working on a collection of student writings focusing on ‘Disastrous Lesson’ that will be published in 2011.
Michael was second supervisor for Dr Esmerelda Bamblett who completed her PhD in 2010. Esme’s thesis was entitled ‘Gurranyin Borinya (On Eagle’s Wings) Effecting Change for Koori Youth’.
Michael also teaches into undergraduate programs. He currently co-ordinates TCHE 2318 Learners Learning and Teaching and CUED 1189/90 and CUED 1205/6 Humanities/Social EducationMethods A&B.
Learning and Teaching committee (2007–2010: 2013– )
Past Program Director of the double degree in Education and Disability (2008–2010) (with Dr Jude Ocean)
Past Program Director of the double degree in Applied Science and Education (2008–2010) (with Dr Jude Ocean)
Program Directors committee (2008–2010)
Queer Allies committee (2008– )
Staff Writers collective (2011–2012)
Workloads Committee (2012– )
Higher Education Management Committee (2011–2012)
Various MTP working parties (2012–2013)
B.Ed (Secondary) (Melb State College)
PG B.Ed Studies (Melb)
- Crowhurst, M.,Emslie, M. (2020). Arts-Based Pathways into Thinking: Troubling Standardization/s, Enticing Multiplicities, Inhabiting Creative Imaginings, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Crowhurst, M.,Emslie, M. (2018). Working creatively with stories and learning experiences : engaging with queerly identifying tertiary students, Springer Nature, Cham, Switzerland
- Crowhurst, M.,Faulkner, J. (2018). "This course made me feel guilty to be an Australian": Exterior assemblages and continuing reflections In: Qualitative Research Journal, 18, 67 - 80
- Crowhurst, M.,Patrick, R. (2018). Critical incident sparks critical incident sparks critical incident: an 'aresolutionist' method In: Reflective Practice, 19, 389 - 398
- Crowhurst, M. (2017). Some reflections on working around anger and change for new queers In: Dear Gay , Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Teacher: Letters of Advice to Help You FInd Your Way, IAP - Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
- Crowhurst, M. (2016). Using a critically aesthetic auto-ethnographic reflective methodology to reflect on a queerly identifying preservice teacher's wish to change her allocated professional placement site In: Teaching and Learning: the journal of natural inquiry and reflective practice, 29, 16 - 29
- Crowhurst, M. (2015). Beginning teachers reviewing disastrous lessons: Some themes and responses In: Beginning Teachers: Reviewing Disastrous Lessons, Sense Publishers, Netherlands
- Faulkner, J.,Crowhurst, M. (2015). I was made to feel very discriminated against as an anglo-saxon In: Qualitative Research Journal, 15, 202 - 212
- Crowhurst, M.,Chancellor, B.,Lemon, N. (2015). Documenting a collective arts-based methodology: an approach to working with and through complexity In: Journal of Artistic and Creative Education, 9, 100 - 129
- Faulkner, J.,Crowhurst, M. (2014). So far multicultural that she is racist to Australians: Discomfort as a pedagogy for change In: Pedagogy, Culture and Society, 22, 389 - 403
2 PhD Completions2 PhD Current Supervisions