- Comparative Endocrinology Research Group – Laboratory Chief
- Canine mammary tumours as a model for human breast cancer
- The evolution of the vertebrate skeleton from cartilage to bone
- Canine osteosarcoma: is histological subtype is linked to patient outcome?
Summary of responsibilities
Course Coordinator of Histopathology (MEDS2106/2111 and MEDS1129/1128/2113), and teaches into Histology (ONPS2298) and Laboratory Medicine Project- Histopathology,
students in the Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences, Masters of Laboratory Medicine and Graduate Diploma in Laboratory Medicine.
Program Coordinator, MC112, Master of Applied Science (Medical Science).
As the Histopathologist Associate Professor Danks is responsible for teaching not only Histopathology but also maintaining the links between RMIT, the pathology industry and the profession of Medical Scientists. These links ensure that our students are not only taught to the highest standard but are kept up to date with latest techniques in Histopathology. A number of expert Histopathologists want to give back to the profession and are highly involved in the courses, especially Histopathology 2.
Educational development work
In 2011, Associate Professor Danks was instrumental in ensuring that Histology students have 24-hour access to images of all our Histology glass slide collection. Our slide sets have been scanned using the Aperio system at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. She worked with Sian Dart (Co-ordinator, Digital Collections, RMIT) and Anne Lennox (Senior Co-ordinator, Copyright Management Services, RMIT) to have the images uploaded onto the RMIT Image Repository. This is a very valuable resource for students and she has ensured the software is on all the library computers at Bundoora. Furthermore, she ensured that students are able to access the images off-campus as well. The student feedback has been very positive and consequently, this project is being extended for all the slide collections in Laboratory Medicine.
In 2014 Associate Professor Danks and her team (Kristi Milley, Syu Mi Sam and Robert Brown) introduced a series of videos and online questionnaires that allowed students to undergo laboratory induction before the beginning of the first Histopathology practical classes. This resulted in an RMIT Health Safety and Wellbeing Award for the Best Solution for a Health and Safety Risk. Also this team made a series of pre-practical class videos that have improved the students' understanding.
- 2011, Founding Fellowship of Science, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
- 2007, Graduate Certificate Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University
- 1987, PhD (Pharmacology), Monash University
- 1981, M.Sc. (Medicine), The University of Melbourne
- 1977, BSc (Biological Sciences), La Trobe University
Professional society service
- Chairman, Organizing Committee of the Comparative Endocrinology of Calcium Regulation Symposium at the 2nd Joint meeting of the International Bone and Mineral Society and the Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society, Brisbane 2017.
- Member, Ethics Advisory Committee, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research 2015-2017.
- Member, Nominating Committee, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research 2016.
- Chair, Women in Bone and Mineral Research Committee, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research (2008-2012).
- Member-at-large, International Federation of Comparative Endocrinology Societies Council (2001-2013).
- Chairman, Organizing Committee of the Comparative Endocrinology of Calcium Regulation Workshop of the 3rd International Bone and Mineral Society and European Calcified Tissues Society, Athens, May 2011.
- Handling Editor, General and Comparative Endocrinology.
- Review Editorial Board, Frontiers in Endocrinology.
Assessor – research organizations
- National Health and Medical Research Council
- Australian Research Council
- National Science Foundation (USA)
- BBSRC (UK)
Reviewer – scientific journals
- Journal of Bone and Mineral Research,
- Journal of Pathology
- American Journal of Pathology
- Journal of Anatomy
- Journal of Endocrinology
- Journal of Molecular Endocrinology
- General and Comparative Endocrinology
- Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology
- Royal Society
- Arthritis Research and Therapy
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- International Bone and Mineral Society
- Histology Group of Victoria
- European Society of Comparative Endocrinologists
- Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
- Austral Comparative Endocrinologists
- Endocrine Society
- Veterinary Cancer Society
- 2012, Shirley Hohl Award, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research
- 2011, Founding Fellowship of Science, Royal College of Pathologists Australasia
- 2011, School of Medical Sciences, High GTS Teaching Award, MEDS2140/2142 (J.A. Danks , D. Jackson, C O’Malley, R.Greaves, R.Green, F.Maxey and A.Beatty)
- 2009, Re-elected as a Board Member-at-Large, International Federation of Comparative Endocrine Societies
- 2007, Plenary Poster Award, International Bone and Mineral Society meeting, Montreal
- 2005, Re-elected as a Board Member-at-Large, International Federation of Comparative Endocrine Societies
- Parathyroid Hormone-like Peptides provisional patent no. 951372 filed on 13th September 2002.
- Parathyroid Hormone-like Peptides International (PCT) Application no. PCT/AU03/01201 filed on 15th September 2003.
- Saad, E.,Milley, K.,Al-Khan, A.,Nimmo, J.,Bacci, B.,Tayebi, M.,Day, M.,Richardson, S.,Danks, J. (2017). Canine mixed mammary tumour as a model for human breast cancer with osseous metaplasia In: Journal of Comparative Pathology, 156, 352 - 365
- Milley, K.,Mineo, R.,Danks, J. (2016). Printing human tissue samples: providing cross-disciplinary opportunities for medical students In: The STEM ecosystem: building cross-disciplinary leadership capacity in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, The Writing Bureau, Melbourne, Australia
- Ho, P.,Goradia, A.,Russell, M.,Chalk, A.,Milley, K.,Baker, E.,Danks, J.,Slavin, J.,Crimeen-Irwin, B.,Dickins, R.,Martin, J.,Walkley, C. (2015). Knockdown of PTHR1 in osteosarcoma cells decreases invasion and growth and increases tumor differentiation in vivo In: Oncogene, 34, 2922 - 2933
- Milley, K.,Ryan, C.,Bacci, B.,Richardson, S.,Danks, J. (2015). DogMATIC - remote biospecimen collection kit for biobanking In: Biopreservation and Biobanking, 13, 247 - 254
- Danks, J.,Freeman, A.,Martin, T. (2014). Historical Perspective and Evolutionary Origins of Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein In: Clinical Reviews in Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 12, 104 - 118
- D'Souza, D.,Rana, K.,Milley, K.,Maclean, H.,Zajac, J.,Bell, J.,Brenner, S.,Venkatesh, B.,Richardson, S.,Danks, J. (2013). Expression of Wnt signaling skeletal development genes in the cartilaginous fish, elephant shark (Callorhinchus milii) In: General and Comparative Endocrinology, 193, 1 - 9
- Suzuki, N.,Sekiguchi, T.,Satake, H.,Kato, K.,Nishiyama, Y.,Takahashi, H.,Danks, J.,Martin, T.,Hattori, A.,Nakano, M.,Kakikawa, M.,Yamada, S.,Ogoshi, M.,Hyodo, S.,Yamaguchi, Y.,Chowdhury, V.,Hayakawa, K.,Funahashi, H.,Sakamoto, T.,Sasayama, Y. (2012). Cloning of two members of the calcitonin-family receptors from stingray, Dasyatis akajei: Possible physiological roles of the calcitonin family in osmoregulation In: Gene, 499, 326 - 331
- Davies, W.,Tay, B.,Zheng, L.,Danks, J.,Brenner, S.,Foster, R.,Collin, S.,Hankins, M.,Venkatesh, B.,Hunt, D. (2012). Evolution and functional characterisation of melanopsins in a deep-sea chimaera (elephant shark, Callorhinchus milii) In: PL o S One, 7, e51276-1 - e51276-10
- Suzuki, N.,Danks, J.,Maruyama, Y.,Ikegame, M.,Sasayama, Y.,Hattori, A.,Nakamura, M.,Tabata, M.,Yamamoto, T.,Furuya, R.,Saijoh, K.,Mishima, H.,Srivastav, A.,Furusawa, Y.,Kondo, T.,Tabuchi, Y.,Takasaki, I.,Chowdhury, V.,Hayakawa, K.,Martin, T. (2011). Parathyroid hormone 1 (1-34) acts on the scales and involves calcium metabolism in goldfish In: Bone, 48, 1186 - 1193
- Danks, J.,Richardson, S. (2011). Endocrinology and evolution: Lessons from comparative endocrinology In: Oxford Textbook of Endocrinology and Diabetes Second Edition, Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Molecular profiles of canine mammary tumours: Providing a new tool for diagnosis. Funded by: Australian Companion Animal Health Foundation Research Grant from (2012 to 2013)
- Effects of Ephrin/Eph and PTHrP signalling on osteosarcoma. Funded by: National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Project Grant Pre-2014 from (2010 to 2012)
- NHMRC Fellowship Grant-in-Aid - Janine Danks. Funded by: NHMRC Research Fellowship Scheme Grant Pre-2014 from (2006 to 2006)
1 PhD Completions3 PhD Current Supervisions