- Academic member of the International Society of Professional Innovation Management (ISPIM)
- Academic member of the International Association of Organizational Innovation (IAOI)
- de Waal, G.A., Knott, P. (2012). The Knut Holt best paper award at the 5th ISPIM Innovation Symposium (International Society for Professional Innovation Management) in Seoul, Korea.
- de Waal, G.A., Knott, P. (2011). Nominated for the Knut Holt best paper award at the 4th ISPIM Innovation Symposium (International Society for Professional Innovation Management) in Wellington, New Zealand.
- de Waal, G.A., Knott, P. (2011). Outstanding Paper Award, International Association of Organizational Innovation, Bangi, Malaysia, July.
- de Waal, G.A. Knott, P. (2010). The McGraw Hill Australia Best Paper in Entrepreneurship Finance, Profitability and Growth awarded at the 7th AGSE International Entrepreneurship Exchange (Sunshine Coast, Brisbane).
- Teaching Creativity, Innovation and Design
- Teaching Global Business Sustainability
- PhD in Innovation Management (University of Canterbury)
- Master of Business Leadership (University of South Africa)
- MSc Physics (University of Potchefstroom)
- BSc (HONS) Physics (University of Pretoria)
- BSc Physics and Applied Mathematics (University of Pretoria)
With a background in physics, Gerrit started off his career as research scientist in the areas of nuclear energy and underwater acoustics in South Africa.
He subsequently worked as program manager in the electro-optics engineering and manufacturing industry where he played key roles in the development and commercialisation of new innovations, project management, and international marketing, before setting up and managing an assembly plant for high-tech products in Malaysia.
After immigrating to New Zealand in 1996, he established himself in Auckland where he initially worked as business consultant and later as senior business lecturer with various tertiary education providers with various tertiary education providers, including Swinburne University (Australia) and currently RMIT.
- De Waal, G.,Maritz, A. (2022). A disruptive model for delivering higher education programs within the context of entrepreneurship education In: Education + Training, 64, 126 - 140
- Millemann, J.,De Waal, G.,Maritz, A. (2022). CONNECTING THE DOTS: A BIBLIOMETRIC ANALYSIS ON THE CONSUMER INNOVATION-DECISION PROCESS In: International Journal of Innovation Management, 26, 1 - 28
- McMurray, A.,De Waal, G.,Scott, D.,Donovan, J. (2021). The relationship between corporate entrepreneurship climate and innovativeness: A national study In: The Palgrave Handbook of Workplace Innovation, Springer , Switzerland
- McMurray, A.,De Waal, G.,Etse, D. (2020). Frugal innovation: Organisational climate and culture In: Frugal Innovation A Global Research Companion, Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, London UK and New York USA
- Cadeddu, S.,Donovan, J.,Topple, C.,De Waal, G.,Masli, E. (2020). Frugal Innovation Practices in Start-ups: The Case of a Frugal Medical Device for BOP and Middle Markets in Indonesia In: Frugal Innovation: A Global Research Companion, Routledge, Abingdon, United Kingdom
- De Waal, G.,Knott, P. (2019). Drivers of thoroughness of NPD tool use in small high-tech firms In: Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 53, 19 - 32
- De Waal, G.,Mention, A. (2019). A Literature Review of Required Adaptations for Successful Implementation of Frugal Innovations in Emerging and Developing Markets In: Frugal Innovation: A Global Research Companion, CRC Press, Australia
- De Waal, G.,Thangarajah, J.,McMurray, A. (2019). Artificial Intelligence and Frugal Innovation: A formidable alliance in Future Education In: Management and Business Education in the Time of Artificial Intelligence, Information Age Publishing, Incorporated, Charlotte, USA
- Tiwari, R.,De Waal, G. (2019). The role of frugal innovation in ensuring global food security In: Frugal Innovation, Routledge, New York, USA
- McMurray, A.,De Waal, G.,Etse, D. (2019). Organisational climate and culture In: Frugal Innovation: A Global Research Companion, Routledge, New York, USA
1 PhD Completions1 PhD Current Supervisions