- Academic member of the International Society of Professional Innovation Management (ISPIM)
- Academic member of the International Association of Organizational Innovation (IAOI)
- de Waal, G.A., Knott, P. (2012). The Knut Holt best paper award at the 5th ISPIM Innovation Symposium (International Society for Professional Innovation Management) in Seoul, Korea.
- de Waal, G.A., Knott, P. (2011). Nominated for the Knut Holt best paper award at the 4th ISPIM Innovation Symposium (International Society for Professional Innovation Management) in Wellington, New Zealand.
- de Waal, G.A., Knott, P. (2011). Outstanding Paper Award, International Association of Organizational Innovation, Bangi, Malaysia, July.
- de Waal, G.A. Knott, P. (2010). The McGraw Hill Australia Best Paper in Entrepreneurship Finance, Profitability and Growth awarded at the 7th AGSE International Entrepreneurship Exchange (Sunshine Coast, Brisbane).
- BBus Entrepreneurship Major Coordinator
- Teaching: Applied Entrepreneurship and Intrapreneurship
- PhD in Innovation Management (University of Canterbury)
- Master of Business Leadership (University of South Africa)
- MSc Physics (University of Potchefstroom)
- BSc (HONS) Physics (University of Pretoria)
- BSc Physics and Applied Mathematics (University of Pretoria)
With a background in physics, Gerrit started off his career as research scientist in the areas of nuclear energy and underwater acoustics in South Africa.
He subsequently worked as program manager in the electro-optics engineering and manufacturing industry where he played key roles in the development and commercialisation of new innovations, project management, and international marketing, before setting up and managing an assembly plant for high-tech products in Malaysia.
After immigrating to New Zealand in 1996, he established himself in Auckland where he initially worked as business consultant and later as senior business lecturer with various tertiary education providers with various tertiary education providers, including Swinburne University (Australia) and currently RMIT.
- De Waal, G. (2016). An extended conceptual framework for product-market innovation In: International Journal of Innovation Management, 20, 1 - 26
- De Waal, G.,Knott, P. (2016). Patterns and drivers of NPD tool adoption in small high-technology firms In: IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 63, 350 - 361
- Maritz, A.,Zolin, R.,De Waal, G.,Fisher, R.,Perenyi, A.,Eager, B. (2015). Senior entrepreneurship in Australia: Active ageing and extending working lives In: International Journal of Organizational Innovation, , 1 - 39
- De Waal, G.,Maritz, A.,Scheepers, H.,McLoughlin, S.,Hempel, B. (2014). A conceptual framework for guiding business transformation and organizational change in innovative ICT projects In: International Journal of Organizational Innovation, 7, 6 - 17
- Maritz, A.,De Waal, A.,Buse, S.,Herstatt, C.,Lassen, A.,Maclachlan, R. (2014). Innovation education programs: Toward a conceptual framework In: European Journal of Innovation Management, 17, 166 - 182
- Maritz, A.,De Waal, G.,Shieh, C. (2014). Educating engineers: A postgraduate entrepreneurship and innovation perspective In: International Journal of Engineering Education, 30, 291 - 301
- Pervez, T.,Maritz, A.,De Waal, A. (2013). Innovation and social entrepreneurship at the bottom of the pyramid - a conceptual framework In: South African Journal of Economic and Management Sciences, , 54 - 66
- De Waal, G.,Knott, P. (2013). Innovation tool adoption and adaptation in small technology-based firms In: International Journal of Innovation Management, 17, 1 - 19
- De Waal, G.,Knott, P. (2012). Product innovation tool adoption behaviour in technology-based new ventures In: International Journal of Innovation Management, 16, 1 - 26
- Ivanov, S.,De Waal, G.,Shieh, C. (2011). Application of knowledge management for strengthening customer satisfaction in service industry In: Actual Problems of Economics, 2, 187 - 193
3 PhD Current Supervisions