Angela is a creative, results-oriented academic with progressive career accomplishments in research, teaching, leadership and community engagement. Angela's research focuses on two main areas; word-of-mouth referrals (including technological communications) and teaching and learning. Angela's teaching disciplines are centered around marketing, business development and design. Previously she has taught in the areas of electronic marketing, services marketing, new product development, marketing management and integrated marketing communications at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Management of course development and teaching includes online environments, distance education and international and off-shore teaching and management.
- Research and publications
- Course development
- Presenting course information
- Management of staff
- Community engagement
- Presenting research
- 2012 1st Prize at Academic Staff 3 minute Presentation Competition
- First External Research Grant, Faculty of Business and Law (2004)
- First Refereed Journal Article, Faculty of Business and Law (2004)
- Faculty of Business and Law, Dean's Teaching Award (2004)
- Queensland University Technology, Dean's Award for Excellence (1999)
Dr Dobele has been invited to review papers for the Journal of Marketing Management, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Customer Behaviour, Journal of Marketing Communications and the Journal of Management & Organization. Dr Dobele has also reviewed for the Academy of Marketing Science World Marketing Congress, is a regular reviewer for The Australian and New Zealand Marketing Academy Conference (ANZMAC) and a past reviewer for the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management Conference (ANZAM), AusWeb 2007 and the CQUniversity Women in Research conferences.
- MKTG1045 Market Research
- MKTG1047 Market Research (Singapore)
- MKTG1105 Online Marketing
- MKTG1197 Global Marketing (Hong Kong)
- MKTG1263 Masters Project Supervision
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching and Learning, RMIT University (2008)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Marketing), "Positive Word-of-Mouth Referrals", Southern Cross University (2006)
- Master of Business (Marketing), Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane (1999)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing), Central Queensland University, North Rockhampton (1994)
- 2008 Senior Lecturer of Marketing, RMIT University
- 2007 Senior Lecturer, Central Queensland University
- 2001 - 2006 Lecturer, Central Queensland University
- 1999 - 2000 Associate Lecturer, Central Queensland University
- Australian Institute of Marketing, Associate Member, member 2005 - 2008
- Australian and New Zealand Academy of Marketing, conference member, 2003 - current
- Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management, conference member, 2005 - 2007
Research Integrity Officer, 2013
Central Queensland University (CQU), North Rockhampton, Academic, 1999-2007
Teaching: Developed course proposals, profiles and directions for 12 week study program for undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. Developed and presented weekly lecture and tutorial materials. Developed assessment items and graded. Moderate assessment marking across delivery campuses outside of Rockhampton. Liaison between business students and prospective students.
Research: Conducting research and publishing the results.
- Coordinated and executed course development and delivery plans to students from mixed demographic and cultural backgrounds; consistently achieved challenging teaching objectives.
- Created, implemented and managed the Gladstone campus newsletter publication, Business Times; achieving market branding objectives.
- Organised the 1999 Gladstone Campus Open Day; achieving growth from 1,500 attendees to 5,000.
- Organised the Faculty of Business and Law guest lecture series during ‘O' Week 2000; achieving involvement between business and industry with CQU and branding objectives.
- Developed the Gladstone Campus library promotion; which provided community branding and obtained much needed resources for the library.
- Developed and implemented research programs for the Gladstone Engineering Centre and PFT Uni. Caterers; achieving community engagement objectives.
- Traveled overseas to run workshops in Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Chengdu, China; achieving teaching and branding objectives.
Acting Head of School, School of Marketing and Tourism, August - December 2004
Lead the marketing and tourism school serving 1,500+ students in 12 campuses and distance education modes through Australia and overseas. Managed communications strategies, program and course offerings, channel management, promotions, and assisted in the development of the school website. Served as Member of Faculty Executive and Faculty Research Committees.
Campus Coordinator, March 1999 - May 2000
Upon commencing her lecturing duties with the Central Queensland University, Gladstone Campus, Angela undertook the responsibilities of the Campus Coordinator for the Faculty of Business and Law for a period of fifteen months. These duties included providing advice to current and prospective students about studying at CQU, the Gladstone campus and Faculty of Business and Law programs, liaison with the Dean of the Faculty and the Head of Campus and assistance to the Dean and the Campus Head to secure part-time employees as required. Angela also developed programs to record prospective social and economic developments in and around Gladstone including an industry liaison group which provided relevant information for use in marketing and promotions. She also liaised with other educational providers in and around Gladstone and with other Campus Coordinators.
McKinsey & Company, Great Britain, and Insight Plus, Brisbane. Study Support Specialist and Business Analyst, 1997-1998
Undertook consulting and market research activities for clients in manufacturing, mining, professional services, not-for-profit and education industry. Final results report writing and presentation. Specific types of work included strategic planning projects, feasibility studies, designing marketing and promotional plans and developing questionnaires and lines of questioning for internal and external interviews, surveys and focus groups.
Developed a research program for a chartered airline company to determine why its service offering was not as popular as expected; determined causes at fault and steps to improve.
Developed and implemented a feasibility study for an accounting firm to incorporate new business directions; program enabled the firm to expand client base and increase staff.
Additional Career Experiences and Versatile Expertise
- Marketing Coordinator (Qld Professional Credit Union), Tutor (QUT),
- Newsletter Publisher (Livestock, Professional Services and Beauty).
- Cooper, T.,Stavros, C.,Dobele, A. (2019). The levers of engagement: an exploration of governance in an online brand community In: Journal of Brand Management, 26, 240 - 254
- Thongpravati, O.,Reid, M.,Dobele, A. (2019). In Press - Unfolding market vision quality: understanding its dimensions, drivers, and before-launch performance In: Journal of Strategic Marketing, , 1 - 13
- Le, D.,Dobele, A.,Robinson, L. (2019). Information sought by prospective students from social media electronic word-of-mouth during the university choice process In: Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 41, 18 - 34
- Le, D.,Robinson, L.,Dobele, A. (2019). In Press - Understanding high school students use of choice factors and word-of-mouth information sources in university selection In: Studies in Higher Education, , 1 - 11
- Cooper, A.,Stavros, C.,Dobele, A. (2019). Domains of influence: exploring negative sentiment in social media In: Journal of Product and Brand Management, 28, 684 - 699
- Dobele, A.,Veer, E. (2019). My best writing space: understanding academics self-professed writing spaces In: Higher Education, 78, 345 - 364
- Le, D.,Robinson, L.,Dobele, A. (2019). (In Press) Word-of-mouth information processing routes: The mediating role of message and source characteristics In: Journal of Consumer Behaviour, , 1 - 11
- Heffernan, M.,Stavros, C.,Westberg, K.,Dobele, A.,Smith, A. (2018). Australia In: Routledge Handbook of Physical Activity Policy and Practice, Routledge International Handbooks, United Kingdom
- Dobele, A.,Greenacre, L.,Fry, J. (2018). The impact of purchase goal on wine purchase decisions In: International Journal of Wine Business Research, 30, 19 - 41
- Le, D.,Dobele, A.,Robinson, L. (2018). WOM source characteristics and message quality: the receiver perspective In: Marketing Intelligence and Planning, 36, 1 - 17
- Towards a typology of referring blood service community members: understanding what they talk about and identifying the co-creation opportunities arising from such understanding. Funded by: Australian Red Cross Blood Service Contract from (2014 to 2015)
- The impact of social media presence on business outcomes: a case study of the Australian general insurance industry. Funded by: Australian Centre for Financial Studies Research Grants 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Surfing or Diving? An exploration of student's practices and attitudes towards technology for learning. Funded by: HERDSA Office of Learning and Teaching Grant from (2013 to 2014)
3 PhD Current Supervisions4 PhD Completions