Adam Fletcher is a Lecturer in Law at the Graduate School of Business and Law, RMIT University.
Adam Fletcher recently completed his PhD at Monash University. His thesis was entitled Human Rights Scrutiny in the Australian Parliament.
Adam's research and teaching interests are in human rights law (national and international), public law and government accountability, tort law and legal practice. Adam's research has been published in peer-reviewed journals and collected works.
He also has extensive experience as a legal adviser in the public and non-government sectors, having worked for UNHCR, the Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department (Office of International Law), the Association for the Prevention of Torture (Geneva) and the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.
Immediately prior to joining RMIT, he was a Research Fellow at the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law from 2011-2017.
Adam teaches Human Rights Law in Australia and Legal Practice Management & Professional Conduct in the Juris Doctor program.
Teaching and Coordination (Melbourne)
- Human Rights Law in Australia
- Legal Practice Management & Professional Conduct
- Adapting PhD thesis for publication as monograph
- Article on human rights and administrative decision-making for Australian Journal of Administrative Law (with Dr Janina Boughey)
- Preparing paper for symposium Evaluating Commissions and Inquiries (La Trobe, December 2017)
- Chapter in forthcoming volume The Legal Protection of Rights in Australia (Hart, 2018)
- Ongoing research projects relating to public sector accountability and compliance with international human rights law
- Social media coordination for the JD program
- Admitted as an Australian Lawyer, Supreme Court of NSW
- PhD (Monash)
- Master of Public and International Law (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours)/Bachelor of Arts (International Studies) (UTS)
- Interim Report on Disability in Education (Victorian Government and LIV) 2017
- Major Research Project on Alternatives to Imprisonment for Vulnerable Offenders (Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department) 2012
- Association for the Prevention of Torture, 2009-2010
- Commonwealth Attorney-General's Department, 2006-2011
- Fletcher, A. (2013). Scope of application In: International Human Rights Law, Oxford University Press, United Kingdom
- Fletcher, A. (2012). Australia and the OPCAT In: Alternative Law Journal, 37, 233 - 237